Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As far as your boss having you wash his house, sounds like hes just trying to get you some hours. If I dont have regular work for my guys and I have chores at the house or at my other property Ill give them the option to take the day off or do chores. Piling and burning my brush or cleaning my gutters beats the hell outta flipping burgers IMO.

I always hated taking care of the bosses chores. It was everything from mowing to picking up kids toys in the yard. But there was always 40 hours. I was mixed on taking the 40 or calling it an early day. You have to keep yourself busy. If you fall into the rut of just calling it an early day every time, you will be seen as lazy. And even as a new owner, like me, I can't just call it an early day. I have to keep going and trying. Keep the machine going. I just started feeling the slow time coming. I have to do all the maintenance for the business and everything else just to keep myself going. I'm old enough that I feel like I should start slowing down, but young enough that I need to keep going.

Wow great answers guys. Im glad im not the only one who doesnt like doing the bosses chores lol. Keep em coming!

I'm salary and In charge of about 700 pieces of equipment. On the one hand, I know what my check will be every Friday, on the other hand, there is really no slow time. I'm good with that though. Rather stay busy and enjoy the stability.

this time of year I'm doing the jobs that the clients were ok with
    putting off until it cooled off.
    of course it was 91 degrees yesterday afternoon..
    once it does get cooler, I'll be doing ductwork for a few weeks.
    those misc things that were too hot to do in july august & september.

hope things pick up..aside from bosse's chores.
    at least he is keeping y'all working.
    could be worse.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Get out the pellet gun and go hunting condenser coils

LOL! that's job assurance.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I have worked for companies on both sides of the fence. One would send you home early if there was no work, the other would always try to find you something to do. There were pluses & minuses to both. After a busy summer it was sort of nice to catch up on some needed tasks at my own house. But doing nonsense sort of work around the company shop just to get me 40 sometimes drove me nuts. Although I probably didn't have far to drive.

As I am in the process of venturing out on my own in this trade, as one man & a truck, I feel that if it gets slow, I will do some quality control checks with some of the service and installs. Just call up customers and see if all is working OK. Let them know that I am here if they need anything or even have any questions about their system or its operation. Every time I did that in other businesses that I owned, I would get calls from their friend & neighbors. This trade in general does not do a very good job at after the fact quality control. I know that the shops that I worked at were almost afraid to call to check how things were going after a repair or install. They figured that if no one was complaining that things were OK. So if you were to do a couple of quality control calls you would be letting the customers know that you really care about them and their comfort. And they will tell their friends about you and things will no longer be slow.

Just my $.02.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

All this talk is my biggest fear. I'm in HVAC school now and will be seeking my first HVAC job come spring. I'm in Florida and things get real busy starting in spring and start slowing down around this time of the year. I need the hands on experience, yet, I also know I'll be the first to go next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwruss View Post
    All this talk is my biggest fear. I'm in HVAC school now and will be seeking my first HVAC job come spring. I'm in Florida and things get real busy starting in spring and start slowing down around this time of the year. I need the hands on experience, yet, I also know I'll be the first to go next fall.
    Refrigeration!! It's year round pretty much. If you can get in a shop with both HVAC and refrigeration accounts its a bit more steady. Good luck.

Refrigeration is almost never slow , but you will never be home ....

I do all sorts of stuffs...right now Im restoring old school BMX bikes for my boy.

Here is a 1981 Supergoose I recently finished.

A 1980 Schwinn Predator - Cromo

These bikes were all made in America and are 4130 chrome moly construction. An 81 Supergoose recently auctioned on ebay for 2075.00 bucks. These bikes are way better than the China sheit these days.

Chrome bikes I soak in wood bleach for 24 hours (after breaking them down of course)...the acid in wood bleach removes any rust. Then I clean and polish everthing, repack the bearings, and voila! ..Like brand new in the bike store.

I also enjoy shooting my boom sticks, playing and recording music, and going to estate sales.
    Last edited by coolwhip; 10-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Refrigeration!! It's year round pretty much. If you can get in a shop with both HVAC and refrigeration accounts its a bit more steady. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Refrigeration is almost never slow , but you will never be home ....
    I am thinking to do this... start out on a small scale. My area is an AC market... meaning when the AC dies most folks replace the entire system. Problem is... the 'busy season' only lasts around 5 mos... I have been doing home repair and small remodeling projects (used to do this before HVAC)... however this is both more physical and less $$$.

Doing refrigeration (small walk in coolers and freezers, reach in's and ice machines) seems like a way to stay in the service call business with larger income for a less heavy physical work.
    Any small shops out there with guys doing both resi hvac and some refrigeration? How does it work for you? GA is interested to learn the business side... I am working with a few guys to learn the tech side.

THX in advance for any posts!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast