Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I am thinking to do this... start out on a small scale. My area is an AC market... meaning when the AC dies most folks replace the entire system. Problem is... the 'busy season' only lasts around 5 mos... I have been doing home repair and small remodeling projects (used to do this before HVAC)... however this is both more physical and less $$$.

Doing refrigeration (small walk in coolers and freezers, reach in's and ice machines) seems like a way to stay in the service call business with larger income for a less heavy physical work.
    Any small shops out there with guys doing both resi hvac and some refrigeration? How does it work for you? GA is interested to learn the business side... I am working with a few guys to learn the tech side.

THX in advance for any posts!
    I do both. It helps alot it the winter when resi is slow. Sucks a$$ in the summer when resi is already putting us at 12hrs a day.

There is no "ill be there in the morning". When they call, you gotta go, and they almost always call right after you get out of the shower and are about to have dinner. Be prepared for some late nights. You need to have the ability to "macgyver" since not having the exact part you need is inevitable.

On the upside its a nice change of pace with more challenges than resi. Pays very well too.

mr field? whats that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    In 2001 I got away from A/C and refrigeration after 26 years, A/C sucks and hours can get crazy with refrigeration. I moved into the MR field in 2001, and recently started serving the liquid to liquid systems. Its a great niche market with no shortage of opportunity to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by buzhall View Post
    mr field? whats that?

Sorry, short for MRI.

Buy a veto bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwruss View Post
    All this talk is my biggest fear. I'm in HVAC school now and will be seeking my first HVAC job come spring. I'm in Florida and things get real busy starting in spring and start slowing down around this time of the year. I need the hands on experience, yet, I also know I'll be the first to go next fall.
    im only 24 and in the field...lets just say for the younger generation i learned the hard way...responsibility and savings account lol i worked my butt off in the summer all my over time went into savings. in turn i saved enough money to take mondays and fridays off all through the winter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234