Thoughts/Suggestions?

Hey guys, I know I am new to the forums, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a couple of systems a few local companies have given me.
    The units will be installed in the Daytona Beach area

We're replacing an old Trane system that was installed in 1987 - 9 seer - 2.5 ton XE900, in a 1575 sq/ft, single story house.

New systems all in the area of 15 seer - 2.5 ton.

Quote A - Trane TWB4030 with a TAM4A0C30 air handler.
    Quote B - Amana SSZ14 with a AVPTC3137 air handler.
    Quote C - Carrier 25HBC530 with a FXDNF031P air handler.

All of the systems and quotes were within about $50-$100 of each other

I basically wanted to stick with the Trane system due to the one we have lasting as long as it has.

Thanks!

Ryan

Trane SEER 14.00 EER 12.00 HSPF 8.00

Amana SEER 15.00 EER 13.00 HSPF 8.60

Carrier SEER 15.25 EER 12.50 HSPF 8.70

The builder model Trane with the PSC air handler is a little out of place here. You are getting the most out of the deluxe Amana HP and variable speed blower. Next comes the Carrier, but they are quoting a fixed speed high efficiency motor air handler.

While i don't have any info. On amana or the carrier. I can give you insight on the Trane as that is systems we sale.

The Trane system you have listed will give you 14 seer rating. If you want to get 15 seer then look at the below section.

TAM7A0C36H31
    4TWB4030G1000A
    15 seer
    12 eer
    9.5 hsph

This system will have a variable speed air handler which will help with humdity removal better when set up properly. Don't get me wrong the tam4 is a good air handler but not a variable speed.

Did your trane dealer talk to you about a XR15 or XL15i? These are my 2 best Selling systems for a number of reasons. The 1st is instant rebates and or special fin. Offers. The next is the look and quieter operation plus on the XL15i 12 year compressor warranty. I would get some cost diff. Between the XB14 to XR15 to XL15i to see if rebates or fin. Off set the diff. In cost.

This of course will depend on your budget, if the instant rebates off set the cost diff. Or you are looking at fin. Options.

All in all the trane you have listed is not a bad setup but want get you to 15 seer and the unit is considered a builders grade.

Look for the company that did a proper load cal. To determine size, ask for some of there installs pics/customers they have done work for etc... This will give you a good idea of how they do there installs at the same time can help see the equipment installed.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The builder model Trane with the PSC air handler is a little out of place here. You are getting the most out of the deluxe Amana HP and variable speed blower. Next comes the Carrier, but they are quoting a fixed speed high efficiency motor air handler.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    While i don't have any info. On amana or the carrier. I can give you insight on the Trane as that is systems we sale.

The Trane system you have listed will give you 14 seer rating. If you want to get 15 seer then look at the below section.

TAM7A0C36H31
    4TWB4030G1000A
    15 seer
    12 eer
    9.5 hsph

This system will have a variable speed air handler which will help with humdity removal better when set up properly. Don't get me wrong the tam4 is a good air handler but not a variable speed.

Did your trane dealer talk to you about a XR15 or XL15i? These are my 2 best Selling systems for a number of reasons. The 1st is instant rebates and or special fin. Offers. The next is the look and quieter operation plus on the XL15i 12 year compressor warranty. I would get some cost diff. Between the XB14 to XR15 to XL15i to see if rebates or fin. Off set the diff. In cost.

This of course will depend on your budget, if the instant rebates off set the cost diff. Or you are looking at fin. Options.

All in all the trane you have listed is not a bad setup but want get you to 15 seer and the unit is considered a builders grade.

Look for the company that did a proper load cal. To determine size, ask for some of there installs pics/customers they have done work for etc... This will give you a good idea of how they do there installs at the same time can help see the equipment installed.
    Thanks for both of your replies! I think I am going to have another few companies come out and give me estimates. I want to make sure everything is properly matched up, and a quality install done as well.

I will be back with updates lol

So I got with another company, who agreed that the setup that Company A gave was not a true 15 seer system, and he recommended the 4twr5030 with a gam5 or tam7 air handler. he will be coming out tomorrow morning to do a load analysis as well as check out the duct work, and give me a full quote.

Quote Originally Posted by DJAscendance View Post
    So I got with another company, who agreed that the setup that Company A gave was not a true 15 seer system, and he recommended the 4twr5030 with a gam5 or tam7 air handler. he will be coming out tomorrow morning to do a load analysis as well as check out the duct work, and give me a full quote.
    Well that is good. Sounds like you are on the right path. An if you want to stay with Trane you can't go wrong with XR15 matched witb tam7 variable speed air handler.

Keep us posted!!!

If you are mostly concerned about the power bill consider dropping to a 2 ton and improving the house/ductwork to reduce the load by the other 1/2 ton.. Our house is the same size and the 2 ton is good up to 100 degree outdoor temps. Fixing the house/ductwork and long run cycles are the key to cutting the cooling bill.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    If you are mostly concerned about the power bill consider dropping to a 2 ton and improving the house/ductwork to reduce the load by the other 1/2 ton.. Our house is the same size and the 2 ton is good up to 100 degree outdoor temps. Fixing the house/ductwork and long run cycles are the key to cutting the cooling bill.
    The current unit we have is running about 10-15 minute cycles, the new company came out today and said that the new unit would be running about 8-1/2 minute cycles.
    This is the only company that has come out and wanted to climb in the roof to look at the duct work as well. He suggested the trunk line that runs to the back side of the house be replaced and gave me quotes on 3 systems.

an XLi15 with a TAM7 AH
    an XR5030 with a TAM7
    and a XB4030 with a TAM7

I think I might go with the xr5030 and the tam7, its about in the middle as far as pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Well that is good. Sounds like you are on the right path. An if you want to stay with Trane you can't go wrong with XR15 matched witb tam7 variable speed air handler.

Keep us posted!!!
    Now I have another question, this tech stated that he could smell "acid" in the current system? and said it leads to the compressor breaking down. Is there any validity to that statement, considering the system is 25 years old?

Also
    If we did a TAM7A0C36 AH with a 4TWR5030G would that be 15seer or 16seer?

Quote Originally Posted by DJAscendance View Post
    The current unit we have is running about 10-15 minute cycles, the new company came out today and said that the new unit would be running about 8-1/2 minute cycles.
    This is the only company that has come out and wanted to climb in the roof to look at the duct work as well. He suggested the trunk line that runs to the back side of the house be replaced and gave me quotes on 3 systems.

an XLi15 with a TAM7 AH
    an XR5030 with a TAM7
    and a XB4030 with a TAM7

I think I might go with the xr5030 and the tam7, its about in the middle as far as pricing.

Now I have another question, this tech stated that he could smell "acid" in the current system? and said it leads to the compressor breaking down. Is there any validity to that statement, considering the system is 25 years old?
    I'm not sure what they were getting at. Shorter cycle times are not better. That's worse. Why would it be shorter? Does it put out more capacity? Could be that it will remove less humidity making you less comfortable, meaning you have to set the temperature lower.

With AC, smalle is better. A perfectly sized system run continously at design temrpature. For much of FLorida, that design temperature is only about 94F, but very humid. Believe it or not, that's not much hotter than where I am in Iowa, it just stays hot longer and it much warmer at night and consitently higher dewpoints. IF you current system is cycling when it's in the mid 90's, then it's probably oversized. AS mentioned above, consider downsizing, fixing air leaks, improving ductwork and air distribution and you'll have a more efficient, more comfortable system.

I wondered about the runtimes too. shorter run times are not what you want or need.

"The current unit we have is running about 10-15 minute cycles, the new company came out today and said that the new unit would be running about 8-1/2 minute cycles."

it costs more to start the unit up than to keep it running.
    as the unit starts & stops often, utility costs reflect this in higher costs.

in hot humid climates you want long run times so that the equipment
    has time to remove humidity.

I can control my humidity to 50-52% with just the variable speed air handler.
    to get lower RH, whole house dehumidifier can lower to 45% RH.
    then temp of tstat can be higher and house is still very cool.

spend a little more time educating yourself and ask hvac companies to
    explain the dehumidification process better.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato