Post Likes

Need advice on Chilled water cleanup bad. Trane 300 ton and York 145 ton. Mud in sys

Guys , I've got mud from water main breaks in the city in my chillers and in my entire system. I'm thinking a sand filter and using Domestic water for back washing. I'd love to make it portable to clean some heating loops in some of my other buildings if I can get this one clean. I need advice and of course I've been told we have no money, but this is absolutely needed. any suggestions greatly appreciated

Post Likes
    Dump at same rate your replacing with fresh water. MOST IMPORTANTLY ...
    Don't under any circumstance connect the closed loop to the domestic loop without a backflow device.You can use a sidestream filter or if you have a potfeeder fill it with filter elements .Consult your chemical rep. If you have one.Ask the municipality since there break caused it.

Post Likes
    10-4 I was thinking tee in into pot feeder. Didn't think of backflow p thanks. Already sent pics to my chemical man. Muds a fine silt. I've cleaned a chiller with bad silica at a Base in Savanna with Rydlyme but this ones new to me. As far as help from the city, I'm SOL. We've had 5 mains to break this year and it's taken me 8 months to get my two 300 HP boilers halfway decent. They being Flex tube don't help.

Post Likes
    Isolate the chillers one at a time. Pull the end bells, and flush inside the drum, and tube bundle with a high pressure washer. Then punch the tubes with your Goodway tube brush machine, and flush again. Good Luck

5. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    I will suggest to work as closely, as the customer will allow you to , with the water treatment company. Be sure to review and trend the results to monitor the progress .

7. Likes lzenglish liked this post
    Post Likes
    Also if the chillers have " enhanced " tubes manual brushing is a must . Using a Goodway or other machine will work ; however one dosen t feel the drag of properly cleaned tubes . Just saying . Also change the brush frequently.

9. Likes keiths101 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Pulling the haeds is how we found it. Trane centrifugal tubes are enhanced, The smaller York is a 4 compressor scroll and i've no way to punch those. We've got some awesome filters on or Nautitorium, but there's no way the're gonna give me that kind of money and I may can get this cleanup done with Sand side stream..

Post Likes
    Regarding the York , would it be possible to isolate the barrel and circulate a detergent solution to suspend the mud /silt and then flush . It may take several attempts.

Post Likes
    If I can get the Trane and the rest of the system cleaned up, will definitely try and isolate the York.

Post Likes
    You got any suggestions on possible products to suspend the mud? All I've found so far is stuff they use to clean ballast tanks on ships, and my Geologist/ Oil driller is in Jacksonville on a job.

Post Likes
    There are chemicals sold by a company called F&R Products in the UK, they can ship to the US no problem. Tell them your symptoms and approx. volume in the system and they will put together some chemicals for you. One of the chemicals they sell make silt or sand have a positive electrical charge to help lift it.

When I have done this kind of job- I keep changing the water until it is clear(er) and keep rinsing out the strainer. Put the chemicals in. Let it run for a week then keep changing the water again

I agree with the guys above too as regards rodding it out with a Goodway machine

Post Likes
    Be careful adding chemicals to system , if system has rubber o-rings (grooved piping) or pro-press etc.
    Do it under advice of chemical company
    Trust me