+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new company - first winter service

Post Likes
    I've been at this for 19 1/2 yrs. Would not think of sending someone out on a nat. or lp job without lots of experience with a qualified person. Way too many things to go wrong. I started my company two years ago and still refuse jobs on some types of units I am not familiar with. There are some old, old type gas valves still out there that I just will not touch. Sometimes its just smarter to say I am too dumb to fix it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keepingmycool View Post
    I've been at this for 19 1/2 yrs. Would not think of sending someone out on a nat. or lp job without lots of experience with a qualified person. Way too many things to go wrong. I started my company two years ago and still refuse jobs on some types of units I am not familiar with. There are some old, old type gas valves still out there that I just will not touch. Sometimes its just smarter to say I am too dumb to fix it.
    Good practice.

Post Likes
    All the above posts are guys trying to keep you from hurting yourself or others. Looking at it with a little different slant, someone is going to pay for your training. That means that either YOU pay or your customer pays. If you're willing to get the appropriate schooling and experience at no charge to the customer, then you're doing the right thing. But if you expect your customers to pay while you sit an read manuals or try to figure out a basic problem, that's just not right. Furthermore, gas is much more dangerous to both you and the homeowner if not serviced and handled properly. I'd highly recommend you attend some classes to gain some knowledge. Those classes will also let you know what tools are required to do proper service. And keep in mind, 50% of the problems will not be related to the gas unit but rather will be electrical in nature.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    some matches

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Tech View Post
    some matches
    Just needed some today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It's anti cyber bully month.
    Be nice.

Bunch of sharks here ready to bite
    Specially if they think you can't swim.

I think we are very diff breed
    We are also territorial
    Had an AC truck in my neighborhood I felt like kicking their a$$.
    Can't they smell all my pee markings all over this place.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
    Hey I'm just starting my company and have been doing service and checks for a few months now. I am starting to get calls for no heat, and gas heat service. I was wondering what checks need to be done on gas heat to make sure every thing is running well. What tools/ meters do I need to purchase? I have flute and field piece for the ac side and heat pumps, but nothing for nat gas. I know how to check the pressure coming in the then through the gas valve (11 WC for nat gas). I was thinking there was a fume detector or something I needed. something to check to flame maybe, not sure what all I need.

Thanks for the help
    It amazes me how many people with absolutely no knowledge in this field try and start their own business. Going to screw a lot of people and end up hurting a homeowner or themselves.. I just don't understand people. I'm sure everyone agrees with me!!!

Post Likes
    Put down the flute and walk away.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    It amazes me how many people with absolutely no knowledge in this field try and start their own business. Going to screw a lot of people and end up hurting a homeowner or themselves.. I just don't understand people. I'm sure everyone agrees with me!!!
    I do !!!

Post Likes
    If I where you, I would take a pass on any gas systems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Not to be mean but maybe you should just run the business and hire an experienced tech to do the work. A list of tools doesn't help if you don't know what the readings are telling you.
    Yes I agree

Post Likes
    Please get more experience, nothing personal, just people trying to help with replies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in