+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement compressor wont run.. :(

Post Likes

Replacement compressor wont run.. :(

So I get the call over the weekend to check out a Luxaire R22 system 2.5 ton. Model TCGD30S21S1A with recip compressor.
    I get there and the compressor was grounded so waited for today to replace under an almost expired warranty, 2 more months & it would have been no warranty..
    Anyway, I check out the nameplate 3.11 lbs factory charge of r22, after installing it I leak tested with nitro and no leaks, pull vacuum and all good, I add 3.14lbs r22 and let it rip... The thing ran great... for about 40 minutes..
    It turns out I completely forgot (yes yes, my fault ok?) to change the drier... so I figured np, Ill pull the charge to the compressor and pull another vacuum and thats it right..? not really..
    I tried to pull vacuum and the dang compressor didn't suck in the charge, instead it shut down on me and remained like that for about thirty minutes.. All cables hooked up correctly, 24v coming through and 240v enabled, fan was running but comp wasn't.
    I had to run to another call and could not come back to this today but I am going back tomorrow..
    Could this just be that the compressor overheated and needed longer to cool down run again?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by myhvacx View Post

It turns out I completely forgot (yes yes, my fault ok?) to change the drier... so I figured np, Ill pull the charge to the compressor and pull another vacuum and thats it right..? not really..
    I tried to pull vacuum and the dang compressor didn't suck in the charge, instead it shut down on me and remained like that for about thirty minutes....
    I am lost there. "Not understand a word that came out of your mouth "

Post Likes
    I tried to pull vacuum and the dang compressor didn't suck in the charge, instead it shut down on me and remained like that for about thirty minutes..
    What does this mean? Are you trying to say that you tried to pump down the unit with it's own compressor, by closing a valve on the liquid line? If so, did you have a gauge on your discharge line to ensure that you weren't overfilling your condenser?

This doesn't have anything to do with it, but is the filter drier before or after the liquid line shut off valve?

Post Likes
    I think those TCGD, whether R22 or the R410a models incorporate micro-channel technology and your not suppose to suck down a system like you would conventionally with the micro-channels, even if it is the factory charge only. I hope you didn't mechanically lock up the compressor with multiple attempts to try to have it smash 15 pounds of salami into a 2 pound bag. I guess a bit of ohm testing at the compressor terminals would let you know if it was out on thermal or if it is locked up.

Post Likes
    so I figured np, Ill pull the charge to the compressor and pull another vacuum and thats it right..?
    I think I just figured it out. I think by "pull the charge to the compressor", you really meant "pump the charge into the condenser". I hope that's what you meant, anyways.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I think those TCGD, whether R22 or the R410a models incorporate micro-channel technology and your not suppose to suck down a system like you would conventionally with the micro-channels, even if it is the factory charge only.
    Oh crap..

Post Likes
    Oh crap..
    I'm not try to rub it in, but slctech is correct.

There is a service bulletin out from York that says this.........

THE PUMP DOWN OF REFRIGERANT INTO A MICROCHANNEL UNIT IS NOT APPROVED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

This practice can result in damage to the compressor or condenser coil.

The TCGD is a microchannel unit.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    That condenser does have a microchannel coil. York does not approved pumping down a microchannel system.

http://www.fldist.com/applications/D...ems%20York.pdf

Hopefully the compressor is just out thermal overload and hasn't received any damage.

Post Likes
    just curious if you cannot pump back into microchannel coil.....do they all come dryship? how does the mfg put charge into unit?

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBacardi View Post
    just curious if you cannot pump back into microchannel coil.....do they all come dryship? how does the mfg put charge into unit?
    Good Point..

by the way, Im the OP, the compressor was just out on thermal but.... This thread sure as hell helped me learn more about this microchannel business.. thanks guys..

Post Likes
    The 22 systems come dry. 410 come charged. Ive yet to see a factory charge stamped on a dry charge, York microchannel unit but 3.14 pounds sounds about right so maybe some do.

I know they say not to pump them down but it is possible to pump down as much as the cond will hold. Almost every microchannel ive installed has had to have a considerable amount of refrigerant added. They dont want you attempting to pump them down because they know reefer has been added and that additional reefer will never fit into the condenser. They also know some guys will stand there with the contactor pushed in waiting on it to pump down when the cond is obviously already stacked full

Post Likes
    But Id never attempt to pump one down

Post Likes
    Also curious how you were gonna change the filter drier by pumping it down anyway. All that ive seen have internal driers

Post Likes
    Factory utilizes refrigerant equipment with high pressure discharge that has no problem cramming the factory charge into the condenser. A basic compressor's discharge can not to be compared.

Post Likes
    Do any of you know of any threads where it has been discussed pumping down microchannel coils?

By using the condenser and compressor to pull the refrigerant into the condenser with no ill effects. I know Copeland and Microchannel coil manufacturers would say no, but they have to do it. Who's seen a failure by doing it? Or is it just factory bs? This should be a new thread. There are a lot of things that we do that aren't quite to manufacturers recommendations, but are always done and have been there for years and years. Because frankly they're trying to cover their butts. My vote is to pump down a micro channel coil, depending upon line set length.

Post Likes
    No means no. Why risk damage to the equipment? Knock the dust off your recovery machine and USE it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Also curious how you were gonna change the filter drier by pumping it down anyway. All that ive seen have internal driers
    Name:  micro.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  121.5 KB

This one didnt, it had a muffler but no drier inside the condenser..

This image by the way was taken as it was being installed, so dont kill me if you can see the crankcase cables just sitting there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Oh crap- is that what that was?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Oh crap- is that what that was?
    Yep sure is. I see a muffler and a drier.

Post Likes
    Name:  micro.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  121.5 KB

This one didnt, it had a muffler but no drier inside the condenser..

This image by the way was taken as it was being installed, so dont kill me if you can see the crankcase cables just sitting there.
    Take a closer look my friend. That enlarged copper cylinder thats exiting the unit on the liquid line, not the discharge line, is indeed a filter drier. Get rid of it and install new drier OUTSIDE the unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in