Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    york used to put the drier right at discharge on compressor. there are driers rated to handle this but the capacity of the drier drops.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    york used to put the drier right at discharge on compressor. there are driers rated to handle this but the capacity of the drier drops.
    I've had a York package unit blow the glass outta the compressor in Afghanistan bc the filter drier was on the discharge line and it was completely blocked... 165 degree odt and condenser coils dont play nice together

trane compressor had been changed out by someone who didnt know what they were doing installed liquid line filter drier 6 inches from compressor discharge also cut down the discharge from 1/2 inch into a 163s drier. I got the call for no cooling condenser fan motor had locked up compressor pumped so hard before it went out on overload that it blew the teflon seal out of the roto-lock must have blown a cup of oil out into the unit. please dont install liquid line filter driers in the hot gas discharge line.

not to hi-jack thread but where do you put the liquid line filter drier in a unit with a bi-flow metering device? from the factory i have never seen on installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Yes, there is a muffler. Its on the DISCHARGE line. The drier is on the LIQUID line. Its a "pencil" type filter drier.
    I stand corrected....I was looking at the muffler, didnt squint hard enough to see the cute little copper spun drier hiding down by the liquid line shut off valve...what a crappy place to put it.

I've had a lot of leaks on those internally installed (non-copper) filter driers inside condensers on these specific York system in this specific development that are about 6-7 years old. When i check the charge and its quite low the filter drier is the first place i check on these systems then the evap coil.

Why can't you pump down a micro channel style condenser as long as it is not more than the factory charge?

Move the filter drier inside and install approx. 6" from the txv. No rusting and better protection of metering devices.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I stand corrected....I was looking at the muffler, didnt squint hard enough to see the cute little copper spun drier hiding down by the liquid line shut off valve...what a crappy place to put it.
    I agree. I dont like internal driers on any brand. I assume they do this because many contractors are to inept or lazy to install one on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
    not to hi-jack thread but where do you put the liquid line filter drier in a unit with a bi-flow metering device? from the factory i have never seen on installed.
    You install a bi-flow drier...on the liquid line. When there is no factory installed drier I like to put them inside close to the air handler. They will function fine anywhere on the liq line but the paint wont fall off and rust when theyre inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    I agree. I dont like internal driers on any brand. I assume they do this because many contractors are to inept or lazy to install one on their own.
    Small capacity filter (factory installed) will actually clog up prematurly if system is not propery prepped, insuring premature failure of compressor.

unless its a package unit how do you charge to the factory plate

Charge to the data plate on the condenser, and then add for the line set.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Small capacity filter (factory installed) will actually clog up prematurly if system is not propery prepped, insuring premature failure of compressor.
    So will a 16 cu inch. Not being a prick but not sure what your point is?

I am referring to the type of metering device that meters in both directions, one expansion valve for cool same expansion valve for heat. its only on units that would have had a very short liquid line. Water source heat pumps and package units mostly. in this case the liquid line is only really the liquid line in one mode. where to put it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123