Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 39 of 39
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,384
    york used to put the drier right at discharge on compressor. there are driers rated to handle this but the capacity of the drier drops.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    york used to put the drier right at discharge on compressor. there are driers rated to handle this but the capacity of the drier drops.
    I've had a York package unit blow the glass outta the compressor in Afghanistan bc the filter drier was on the discharge line and it was completely blocked... 165 degree odt and condenser coils dont play nice together

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    119
    trane compressor had been changed out by someone who didnt know what they were doing installed liquid line filter drier 6 inches from compressor discharge also cut down the discharge from 1/2 inch into a 163s drier. I got the call for no cooling condenser fan motor had locked up compressor pumped so hard before it went out on overload that it blew the teflon seal out of the roto-lock must have blown a cup of oil out into the unit. please dont install liquid line filter driers in the hot gas discharge line.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    119
    not to hi-jack thread but where do you put the liquid line filter drier in a unit with a bi-flow metering device? from the factory i have never seen on installed.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Salt Lake City/Tooele
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Yes, there is a muffler. Its on the DISCHARGE line. The drier is on the LIQUID line. Its a "pencil" type filter drier.
    I stand corrected....I was looking at the muffler, didnt squint hard enough to see the cute little copper spun drier hiding down by the liquid line shut off valve...what a crappy place to put it.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central NJ Area
    Posts
    779
    I've had a lot of leaks on those internally installed (non-copper) filter driers inside condensers on these specific York system in this specific development that are about 6-7 years old. When i check the charge and its quite low the filter drier is the first place i check on these systems then the evap coil.

    Why can't you pump down a micro channel style condenser as long as it is not more than the factory charge?

    Move the filter drier inside and install approx. 6" from the txv. No rusting and better protection of metering devices.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I stand corrected....I was looking at the muffler, didnt squint hard enough to see the cute little copper spun drier hiding down by the liquid line shut off valve...what a crappy place to put it.
    I agree. I dont like internal driers on any brand. I assume they do this because many contractors are to inept or lazy to install one on their own.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
    not to hi-jack thread but where do you put the liquid line filter drier in a unit with a bi-flow metering device? from the factory i have never seen on installed.
    You install a bi-flow drier...on the liquid line. When there is no factory installed drier I like to put them inside close to the air handler. They will function fine anywhere on the liq line but the paint wont fall off and rust when theyre inside.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    I agree. I dont like internal driers on any brand. I assume they do this because many contractors are to inept or lazy to install one on their own.
    Small capacity filter (factory installed) will actually clog up prematurly if system is not propery prepped, insuring premature failure of compressor.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    502
    unless its a package unit how do you charge to the factory plate

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    66,807
    Charge to the data plate on the condenser, and then add for the line set.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Small capacity filter (factory installed) will actually clog up prematurly if system is not propery prepped, insuring premature failure of compressor.
    So will a 16 cu inch. Not being a prick but not sure what your point is?

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    119
    I am referring to the type of metering device that meters in both directions, one expansion valve for cool same expansion valve for heat. its only on units that would have had a very short liquid line. Water source heat pumps and package units mostly. in this case the liquid line is only really the liquid line in one mode. where to put it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event