Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBacardi View Post
    just curious if you cannot pump back into microchannel coil.....do they all come dryship? how does the mfg put charge into unit?
    Factory utilizes refrigerant equipment with high pressure discharge that has no problem cramming the factory charge into the condenser. A basic compressor's discharge can not to be compared.

Do any of you know of any threads where it has been discussed pumping down microchannel coils?

By using the condenser and compressor to pull the refrigerant into the condenser with no ill effects. I know Copeland and Microchannel coil manufacturers would say no, but they have to do it. Who's seen a failure by doing it? Or is it just factory bs? This should be a new thread. There are a lot of things that we do that aren't quite to manufacturers recommendations, but are always done and have been there for years and years. Because frankly they're trying to cover their butts. My vote is to pump down a micro channel coil, depending upon line set length.

No means no. Why risk damage to the equipment? Knock the dust off your recovery machine and USE it.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Also curious how you were gonna change the filter drier by pumping it down anyway. All that ive seen have internal driers
    Name:  micro.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  121.5 KB

This one didnt, it had a muffler but no drier inside the condenser..

This image by the way was taken as it was being installed, so dont kill me if you can see the crankcase cables just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Also curious how you were gonna change the filter drier by pumping it down anyway. All that ive seen have internal driers
    Oh crap- is that what that was?

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Oh crap- is that what that was?
    Yep sure is. I see a muffler and a drier.

Quote Originally Posted by myhvacx View Post
    Name:  micro.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  121.5 KB

This one didnt, it had a muffler but no drier inside the condenser..

This image by the way was taken as it was being installed, so dont kill me if you can see the crankcase cables just sitting there.
    Take a closer look my friend. That enlarged copper cylinder thats exiting the unit on the liquid line, not the discharge line, is indeed a filter drier. Get rid of it and install new drier OUTSIDE the unit.

Per the Luxaire parts list and diagram, that is definitely a MUFFLER, not a LLF. The parts states the LLF is a field installed extra that can be ordered.

Here is the link to that for questions...
    http://m.master.ca/documents/0035_22747_001_c_0411.pdf

This is for the York branded unit, but the exact same as the Luxaire.

Getting technical, should be in the Pro forum.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Per the Luxaire parts list and diagram, that is definitely a MUFFLER, not a LLF. The parts states the LLF is a field installed extra that can be ordered.

Yes, part number 11 is a muffler, and part number 8 is a filter drier. And it is in the unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Baycienda View Post
    Do any of you know of any threads where it has been discussed pumping down microchannel coils?

By using the condenser and compressor to pull the refrigerant into the condenser with no ill effects. I know Copeland and Microchannel coil manufacturers would say no, but they have to do it. Who's seen a failure by doing it? Or is it just factory bs? This should be a new thread. There are a lot of things that we do that aren't quite to manufacturers recommendations, but are always done and have been there for years and years. Because frankly they're trying to cover their butts. My vote is to pump down a micro channel coil, depending upon line set length.
    As long as you can put your gauge on the discharge line (not liquid line), and keep your hand near the disconnect, you should be able to safely fill up the condenser with as much refrigerant as will fit. Just keep an eye on your gauges and be ready to cut the power once the discharge pressure starts spiking up.

This assumes that you know the difference between the discharge line and the liquid line. Don't ever put a filter-drier on the discharge line (unless it is hollowed out and empty and says "muffler" on it.

The real danger is a hydraulic burst.

Same reason they warn us about overfilling recovery cylinders.

If you leave no room for expansion and you fill to the brim and then the hot sun comes out.........boom.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post

Yes, there is a muffler. Its on the DISCHARGE line. The drier is on the LIQUID line. Its a "pencil" type filter drier.

the drier is on the liquid line right before it leaves the inside of the unit. i can see it in the picture. about 1-1/8" round and 6" long

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast