+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to the gas fitter/hvac world and finding hard to get work

Post Likes

new to the gas fitter/hvac world and finding hard to get work

hello every one im Matthew and im new to this world. i just finish my g3 training and have found it hard to find work here in the Niagara region Ont. Canada. I has hoping to get some hands on training before writing my g2, but as of now im working in a field that has nothing to do with gas or hvac in any way so i can make ends meat. can any one help me out? any and all comment welcomed thanks

Matthew Swick
    30 Barton Street.
    St. Catharine’s Ont
    (289) 696-2340

Objective:
    To gain a full-time position where I can utilize my extensive Trades,
    Manufacturing and Labour experience.

Skills and Accomplishments:

• Achieved TSSA Gas Technician 3
    • ODP certification, 636 vent piping certification, Trackpipe certification.
    • CSA ticketed in fall protection, suspended access, aerial work platforms.
    • (MIG) (TIG) (SMAW) (GMAW) Introduction to (FCAW) welding, auto and manual cutting torches. plasma cutters and CNC programming operations(2007)
    • CPR, DEFIB, WHIMIS certified and trained.
    • Qualified to supervise personnel who are involved with multiple job duties.

Experience:

Niagara Skilled Trade Academy, St. Catharine’s, ON 2011 – 2012
    • Achieved TSSA certification for Gas tech 3 Dec 2011
    • Achieved ODP certification, 636 vent piping certification, Trackpipe certification.
    • Trained and worked with natural draft, Mid and High Efficiency Appliances. Trained in proper piping, venting and air requirement procurers, set-up and installation. Skilled at installation, set-up and proper maintenance, service of gas fired appliances.
    • Trained in and skilled at trouble shooting mechanical and electrical issues (wanting to fix the heart of the problem, not just a part changer)
    • Trained in leak and spill detection and there safety protocols

Window Cleaner, Adept Window Cleaning, St. Catharine’s, ON 2000 – 2011
    • Confident proven ability working independently and in a cohesive team environment.
    • Utilized CSAO training and certification working with boatman’s chair, swing stage, scaffolding, and snorkel-lift, up ups, jenny lines, lifelines and safety equipment such as weights, beams, ladders five point harnesses and landlers.

Cut Technician- Dismantler, LKQ Dominion, Fruitland Rd, Stoney Creek ON 2009 – 2010
    • Experience dismantling and processing of all makes and models of vehicles.
    • Striping and prep of vehicles for cutting.
    • The marking and cutting of specific body parts, such as Quarter panels, Center pillars, Cowls, Roofs, Rad supports, and many more.
    • Managed the maintenance and repair of two Stihl 410 chop saws.
    • Inventory and stocking of part from said vehicles such as doors, hoods, deck lids, sunroofs.
    • Preparing cut part for shipment, strapping to skid, location tagging and part numbering

Dismantler, Rectangle Auto Supply, St. Catharine’s ON 2008 – 2009
    • Experience dismantling and processing of all makes and models of vehicles.
    • Conducted continuous inventory evaluation via analysis of point of sales computer data.
    • Trained and experienced working with a propane/oxygen cutting torch.
    • Demonstrated efficiency cleaning up and disposing of hazardous materials. (i.e.) gas, oils, anti-freeze, Freon and mercury.
    • Managed the maintenance and repair of a Deer 640 front end loader.

Operator/Programmer, Bayview Green Houses, Jordan ON 2007 – 2008
    • Independently was responsible for the repair, fabrication and maintenance of a Javo super potting machine, the operation and repair of two Javo spacing robots, industrial table washer, all electric motors, conveyors and table pushers.
    • Extensive experience working with CNC programming and robots.
    • Demonstrated efficiency training and supervising a staff of six.
    • Proven proficiency invoicing production time sheets.

Supervisor, Manufacturing, Design, Application, E.C. Signs, St. Catharine’s, ON 2004 – 2006
    • Independently supervised and trained staff.
    • Proficient Customer Service skills.
    • As a Supervisor I was responsible for the producing work timelines and generating shop orders.
    • Manufactured, designed and applied vinyl channel letters/ magnetic signs.
    • Responsible for the manufacturing and setup of metal frames for mobile signs in a variety of shapes and sizes using (MIG) (SMAW) welder, grinder, etc.

Education:

• 2011-2012 Niagara Skilled Trade Academy (Gas Technician 3&2)
    • 2007 Niagara Welding Academy (MIG) (TIG) (SMAW) (GMAW)
    • 2002 Niagara College, General Arts and Science Diploma

Professional Service:
    Wielder, Fabricator, Swiki’s Race Shop, St. Catharine’s ON 1994 – Present
    • Experienced chassy designs and manufacturing. Pipe wielding (GMAW) of roll cage. Design of batter and gas box. (MIG) Cutting and bending of materials using plasma cutter, torches and brakes.

References Available Upon Request

Post Likes
    Around here a good pipe welder can write his own ticket, there is a huge demand for welders nation wide.

Post Likes
    good old niagara trade school

Post Likes
    Holy shamoly, You are way ahead of me, come down here I'll let you work for me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Holy shamoly, You are way ahead of me, come down here I'll let you work for me.
    yes lets work hard for our licenses up in here and then come down to states were there voided yes that sounds like a brilliant idea let me jump in my travel machine and il be right there

Post Likes
    Whoa, I giving compliments here. Besides what is a peice of paper compared to getting paid what you are worth? You can sit up there and beg for work or come down here and make a living. I was only complimenting you not really serious. I would be a little upset if I wasn't working too though. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo86 View Post
    yes lets work hard for our licenses up in here and then come down to states were there voided yes that sounds like a brilliant idea let me jump in my travel machine and il be right there

Post Likes
    Whoa, I giving compliments here. Besides what is a peice of paper compared to getting paid what you are worth? You can sit up there and beg for work or come down here and make a living. I was only complimenting you not really serious. I would be a little upset if I wasn't working too though. .
    i know i should ask you? how is it being um employed are you still upset with me about the war comments you made to me before its ok dont cry someone is bouncd to hire you for something

Post Likes
    Wow okay whatever. I have a suggestion keep going to school as long as you can it sounds like you need it. END OF CONVO.

Post Likes
    Wow okay whatever. I have a suggestion keep going to school as long as you can it sounds like you need it. END OF CONVO.
    You want to work? Move out west, Ontario is garbage. I know from personal experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    You want to work? Move out west, Ontario is garbage. I know from personal experience.
    I have a job.

Post Likes
    Hey man, ive been working in the trade for a little over a year now. Im 23 and did the same thing as you at fanshawe college. I do have my g2 though. Have you been applying to lots of places because there should be work in your area. I dont know your situation but if u can start for 10 to 12 bucks an hour you shouldnt have an issue finding work. Companies in ontario want licensed techs and with the slow economy there are alot of gas fitters out there and having no experience doesnt put you at the top of the food chain. Unfortunatley a G2 or G3 makes you just about as valuable as a fall arrest ticket. I am doing a sheet metal apprenticeship so i do mainly residential duct installs and furnace retrofits. Im grinding it out right now for 11.25 an hour which i can make work as I still live at home its a bit of a struggle still but im just gaining experience. So basically what I am trying to say is if u can afford to take ANY job you can find just to gain experience and i really reccomend working for a reputable company try to stay away from sub contractors for bigger companies if you can because ive heard some horror stories. Stick it out for a year or 2 and the money will come (so i am hoping).
    Good luck man keep trying.

Post Likes
    You should tone-down the non-HVAC related trade-specific jargon on your resume. Your potential employer does not want to read all of that stuff. Fill in the top part with more about yourself and how you can be of value ($$$) to a potential employer. A residential HVAC company will not care about welding experience. However, a commercial/industrial HVAC company that does service work with large chillers and piping systems will. Organizational and supervisory skills are applicable to all industries. However, since you'll be starting out at the bottom, the only person you'll be required to supervise is yourself.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I would clean up the past jobs to a few that are relevant to the trade, change your objective to something like To use my skills to become an HVAC tecnician or something along those lines. But most importantly hammer out the resumes, apply in person show up to shops at open time on monday morning show you give a damn, and talk to owners/shop managers one thing ive learned is that the trades are very tight knit community if one shop isnt hiring they proly know someone who is looking or can help steer you in the right direction. These jobs generally arent posted online or in newspapers you have to go out and market yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in