Lineset in attic or crawl space?

After crawling around in my attic and crawl space yesterday and inspecting the current linesets for the two units I'm about to replace, I've decided that I'm NOT going to re-use them. There are several couplings, and by the look of things the guy who installed the current condensing units in the 80's only used insulation on the lines where it would be visible--as soon as the linesets get to the crawl space, there's no insulation until just before they exit to the outdoors. Considering that leaks in my old lineset are non-warranty items, I'm not chancing it.

The best route for the replacements is through the attic, which is hot as fire in the peak of summer. Would there be much loss of efficiency from running the linesets through a hot attic?

Thanks!

D.

No just make sure they are insulated entirely. It's best not to put ductwork a and eqipment in a hot attic, there's a pretty good loss of efficiency when you do. It would be better to have line set in crawl.

Agree with jt, put the new linesets in the crawl. Any temp. rise in suction line will increase cooling load, or decrease heating capacity in winter (if HP). The other problem with "bare" suction lines in crawl is the condensation dripping into crawlspace. It's a watering system for bugs, mice and termites!! OH yeah, mold grows well too!

Agree that crawl space is better but either is acceptable as long as its done correctly. No sweat connections, if possible, in either and proper insulating of suction line.

I would also choose under the home. I would strap/secure it to wear it is off the ground.

This makes for a cleaner look then running new line set down the wall even with a line set cover.

Running the downstairs unit through the crawl space is easy--it sits right next to the crawlspace wall. The upstairs is more challenging because it has to drop down from the attic inside a wall to get to the crawl space. That may be a tough pull.

Is it worthwhile to provide additional insulation for the suction lines to offset the hot environment?

D.