Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermostat for 2 furnaces and AC and flue sharing

Hello this is my first post and hope to gain some knowledge here.

I have been having trouble finding an installer for my Brunco 150 add on furnace since I did not purchase it from a dealer. I recently found a co worker thats a licensed HVAC and he said hes willing to take a stab at it.

I have a central AC unit, an oil furnace thats 7 years old, and now have the add on furnace (burns coal and wood).

question 1 : Can the oil and wood/coal furnace share the same flue? Its all mason from the basement to the second story.

question 2 : whats a good thermostat to handle these 3 units? Im trying to find a honeywell but I am not sure which one to go with.
    The wood furnace is going to be my primary and the oil is going to b used as backup when Im away for a few days.

Thank you for your time, have a great day.

no, you cannot share solid fuel chimney flues with other fuel types or even other appliances of the same fuel type. You would need a factory chimney listed to UL 103HT or a suitable spare chimney flue with a liner listed to UL 1777 installed with the maximum insulation for the 2,100F rating.
    HTH,

So the chimney is concrete block and brick with clay tile lining. It just has the 5 " flue hooked into it and sealed for the oil furnace. With that being said, can I run an 8" lining down the chimney directly to the wood furnace with the oil flue still attached?

Basically the wood vapors would be eliminated through the 8" metal flue and the oil vapors would be eliminated through the chimney around the wood flue. The total chimney cavity is 12" x 12".

The oil furnace would be used very seldom if any at all...and any advice on a good 8" flue for a wood/coal furnace would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Procyrus View Post
    So the chimney is concrete block and brick with clay tile lining. It just has the 5 " flue hooked into it and sealed for the oil furnace. With that being said, can I run an 8" lining down the chimney directly to the wood furnace with the oil flue still attached?

Basically the wood vapors would be eliminated through the 8" metal flue and the oil vapors would be eliminated through the chimney around the wood flue. The total chimney cavity is 12" x 12".

The oil furnace would be used very seldom if any at all...and any advice on a good 8" flue for a wood/coal furnace would be appreciated.
    IMC 801.17 Space around lining

The space around a flue lining system or other vent installed within a masonry chimney shall not be used to vent any other appliances. This shall not prevent the installation of a separate flue lining in accordance with the manufacturer's installations instructions and this code.

For the thermostat a simple dpdt switch could do the job for coal\oil. You could automate it with a 2 stage thermostat, but would require creative wiring\relays.

Just an update for everyone here. I ended up doing everything myself. Ordered a 25 ', 5.5" diameter 316ti flextube liner, with a double t attachment. The Brunco exhaust is 8" and I reduced it at the chimney to 5.5". Keep in mind that the chimney is 25' in height. That produces a strong enough draft to make the stove work just fine. Also the 8" exhaust is only 5' in length before it enters the chimney with two 30 degree turns. So at the end of the flue I have the 2 t's, the top one is for the wood, the bottom is for the oil. The oil furnace will only be used when the wood furnace is not in use. Also the 2 stage thermostat was easy to install for both units. The Brunco needed a switching relay for the digital thermostat.

The first time I fired it up, no smoke, no issues except it got warm enough to open the windows a bit. Now its just trial an error, and finding better wood that what I have now and/or coal.

And the insurance guy came out, he said everything is A-ok, so I am fully covered, with 2 units on one flue.

not correct !!!!

This venting is unsafe & NOT approved. You are gambling with your family's lives.

This has to be a test or joke.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Wow what a week, first I see a guy hauled out of a house in a body bag from CO poisoning then I'm seeing crazy threads like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Wow what a week, first I see a guy hauled out of a house in a body bag from CO poisoning then I'm seeing crazy threads like this one.
    Last I checked my CA didn't have say smoke or no smoke as its only measurement lol

The insurance guy approved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast