Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am replacing 5 2 ton units on the roof, split system,
    I am replacing the condensor units, now after 35 years (that's how long these units have been working) what should I be doing to clean out the lineset and evaporator coil (on the inside)posibly sludge has formed ? would blowing nitrogen work ?

I don't want to simply use sludge removing filters then having to evacuate the system 48 hours later and putting on a new filter as some guides advise, I just simply want to flush out the lines of debris.

Thanks

Replace the indoor units so they match the outdoor unit and if you are concerned about copper being contaminated replace it also.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

yes, I agree, however the owner does not want to put out the cash, replaceing line sets is imposible, they go into the building, so in this case I'm trying to do the best job with the curcomstances.

I don't think this situation warrants using calgonRX 11, becasue it is so costly.

Is there an easy way to purge the kines, I think Nitro won't do it??

This might be one of those landmine posts I said I'd try to avoid. I'll try an answer and see where it goes.
    They (can't think of who) make this stuff called Rx11 Flush. But it's more geared towards cleaning up after a burnout.
    If you're not at all concerned about acid I'd think a good nitrogen purge would be sufficient.
    I understand you're an apartment guy. Comfortdoc makes a darn good point about replacing everything if it's doable in your situation.
    edit: oh I see you beat me to the Rx11 flush.

No, I understand, replacing everything is always the best option,

but since I can't replace everything, I will just purge the lines with nitro, should I be testing the acidic level of the oil ??

Thanks

Don't see how it could hurt to.
    Especially if you have any doubts about it.

Rx11 flush is a little pricey but its a great product .. ive seen it dry out black oil stained lines .. blow with nitro & catch what comes out in a bucket to see how .. if at all contaminated u are .. if its not bad then just purge with nitro .. but believe the rx11 is worth it if needed

[Edited by hvac wiz 33 on 10-10-2006 at 12:14 AM]

I know your not supposed to purge with Oxygen ? or can you,
    I know that it can explode if you weld it.

Oxygen will explode if it comes in contact with oil.
    Absolutely do not purge with oxygen! Ever!!

[Edited by 4l530 on 10-10-2006 at 01:57 AM]

Thanks

point well taken

We used Acid-away when there may be residual acidity like that. There is another product in a white & orangey box that does the same thing that I think is Nucalgon. Had excellent results with it.

Anytime you pressurize Air or god forbid pure O2 with any hydrocarbon you are playing with a bomb. Think of how an internal combustion diesel engine works and you are standing right next to it brother...

I swear, bottled gases creep me out.

Since you are up against the wall on pricing here I would say just bow them out realy good with nitrogen. If you can dealing with burn out then use the acid neutralizer as was stated all ready

One thing you should keep in mind is if these new units are 13 seer they wont work well on thirty year old coils if at all.

tinknocker service tech

Thank you all for the important information,

tinknocker service tech I was wondering what is it about 30 year old coils that a new 13 seer compresor does not like,
    we've actualy been doing it and it seems to work fine.

but is there sometihing I should be looking out for or certain characteristics that develop ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast