+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IAQ, family getting sick a lot.

Post Likes

IAQ, family getting sick a lot.

A family I know has experienced an unusual amount of illness, and was starting to suspect their home. They have had everything from colds, to odd things like "Reynauds Syndrome". Any advice, even on Indoor Air Testing would be appreciated.
    Thank You

Post Likes

What kind of HVAC system do they have?
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolboy View Post
    A family I know has experienced an unusual amount of illness, and was starting to suspect their home. They have had everything from colds, to odd things like "Reynauds Syndrome". Any advice, even on Indoor Air Testing would be appreciated.
    Thank You
    Any gas appliances in the home?

If so, have you or anyone else tested for possible high levels of Carbon Monoxide?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    seen on a site a new product called The Evalu-Aire Kit if you google smarthvacproducts and look under the iaq tab you will find it. Personally i have no experience on this product. How old of a home is this? is the duct work fairly clean? Mold? As other stated Carbon Monoxide
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post Likes
    Without knowing what kind of equipment it's impossible to give advice but I'd check for CO levels ASAP!

Post Likes
    A home energy audit with a qualified consultant should be able to find the problem. www.comfortinstitute.org or www.bpi.org contractor locator

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolboy View Post
    Thank You
    Basics for indoor air quality are an air change per 4 hour of fresh filtered air, maintaining <50%RH, and merv 11 air filter on air handler.
    This is a must for all of us, even the healthy.
    The fresh air is needed when the home is occupied.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Obviously all we can do is offer unprofessional advice. I googled the disease: http://www.raynaudsgloves.com/raynauds-symptoms.html
    #3 might suggest something related to CO.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in