Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raspberry Pi

Post Likes
    This is a very interesting and promising development. Figures that it would come along just as I'm figuring out this stuff the hard way on my own.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...3&e=f465caffc5

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    This is a very interesting and promising development. Figures that it would come along just as I'm figuring out this stuff the hard way on my own.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...3&e=f465caffc5
    Really Cool! I couldn't resist investing in one of their developer kits.

Post Likes
    Anyone using a Pi to interface with HVAC heating equipment especially heat pump. Looking at a new system for the house. I would like one that I could connect a PI to and run diagnostic monitoring live. Hooking the PI to the computer interface right on the heater to get info directly via the PI running scripts to turn the debug data into graph-able statistics would be my goal. I would like to compare compressor pump run time vs outdoor temp and maybe refrigerant pressure and be able to alarm on low pressure. My current system burned out because the refrigerate ran out and I would love to monitor that. So any system with a tech computer connector would be awesome and make me check out that system.

Post Likes
    I highly doubt that you could find a north american made heatpump that would have that level of diagnostic/communication built in. Of course there are ones that have gateway option for basic information, like temp, setpoint, alarm, but It simply translates into extra cost for manufacturers for communication boards. But almost all will have an alarm relay, that you could monitor with with rpi gpio.

Your original system should have safeties in place such as low pressure cutoff to prevent a burnout, you need to ask the manufacturer why these safeties did not function.

good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsidebuzz View Post
    Anyone using a Pi to interface with HVAC heating equipment especially heat pump. Looking at a new system for the house. I would like one that I could connect a PI to and run diagnostic monitoring live. Hooking the PI to the computer interface right on the heater to get info directly via the PI running scripts to turn the debug data into graph-able statistics would be my goal. I would like to compare compressor pump run time vs outdoor temp and maybe refrigerant pressure and be able to alarm on low pressure. My current system burned out because the refrigerate ran out and I would love to monitor that. So any system with a tech computer connector would be awesome and make me check out that system.
    Just buy an IP controller powerful enough. I just saw a customer putting an enable/disable on trends with his PID setting into his graphical user interface for the device. Open up the web page of the device and its there or run the graphic on the browser and you have it.

Post Likes
    I am looking at the Trane XV18-20 and a tam8c. Seems pretty high tech. So I bet I can get some good data out of it. And could have the pi grab stats from the panel.

Post Likes
    Nah... likely not. It's resi junk. Likely you access some level of nothing. This means you get nothing. I see one manual states "3 wire communication". That's three words stating nearly 100% nothing.

I meant toss the controls in a trash can and write your own logic on a controller.

Post Likes
    There is a J2 connector to the display that says Modbus. Maybe you can connect into that if Trane would give any information. Likely they will not.
    Then you can use a programmable device, small web server or touch panel and get some useful data.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    $35 is hard to argue with, especially if Niagara 4.0 offers portability. I have two Raspberry Pi's that I've been fiddling with for a few months now. One is running a full LAMP server on it that I'm running a fairly good sized mysql database off of and the other one I loaded up with the Bacnet for Linux from sourceforge. I have a breakout board with an xbee radio on that I'm still in the process of learning how to use the arduino boards with xbee to read inputs and control outputs for my home. None of it is pretty, but it's been fairly simple after countless hours of searching Google to learn how it all works.
    I have a month of R&R in December, plan on learning Arduono.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

10. Likes RACLman liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12