flex duct hung from attic ceilings vs. laid on attic floors? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    and a little off track because I know your sister isn't going
    the foamed roofline route..but
    the foamed ductwork route...I'd still opt for the roofline
    and address house to attic leakage over the foaming of
    ductwork. with studies like this people are doing their best work.
    hiring a foam company to do duct sealing as proposed in study
    would entail some education and not just spraying an going.
    the problems with foaming ducts are just what the study shows
    poor air sealing & adhesion issues.

just my pov
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

This is exactly why I want energy transparency.

People don't have, or want to spend money out of pocket for uncertain return on comfort improvement or energy savings.

Banks are much more willing to loan to people at the edge of creditworthiness, which are the people most likely to need and benefit the most from EE improvements, if they can 'SEE' the people can afford to repay the debt.

Cash flow freed up by energy savings, if the bank had very high confidence those savings would actually show up, offers the security banks would line up to loan against.

We need access to consumption (gainesville green) so consumers and banks can see savings, and tools that show savings promised vs savings delivered (gerardi registry) so there is accountability and incentive to put thought and effort into design and to project accurately.

This also provides a new competitive metric that contractors would compete to. A metric of QUALITY where none exists. The predominant metric now is; "get er dun quik n cheeep as possible" so we can make payroll.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

not saying its wrong or right, just that not everyone will agree to put their utility info & home info
    out to view on the web for anyone to see.

eem's are one way for homeowners to afford efficiency improvements. they just have
    to be willing to spend the time to eudcate the loan officers. this is a step
    that banks have left out, in educating their officers.

it is interesting to see your evolution over the time that I've seen you posting here.
    you are a sharp guy & I'm sure you'll be quite sucessful in areas you chose to persue.
    is this gainsville green program something that may be implemented in your area sometime
    in the near future?

I know quite a few people in the efficiency professions. not everyone's metric is as you
    describe. the utility companies muddy the waters, but unbiased evaluations are still
    a worthwhile investment. working with a professional who bases efficiency upgrades upon
    what the homeowner can reasonably achieve at this time, and a plan for future upgrades
    is what we work to provide.

as always..interesting information.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345