Thread: Rheem dual fuel gas split humidifier recommendation?

Post Likes

Rheem dual fuel gas split humidifier recommendation?

Hello I have a 6 month old Rheem RGRL 95% efficiency dual fuel split gas unit and would like to add a humidifier. The unit is controlled by a Honeywell Prestige IAQ, EIM, Red Link thermostat system. Any suggestions for models function ect... Would be appreciated. Thank you

Post Likes
    If you are having humidity issues, tightening the house is 1 way to solve them. Also lowers utility bills. Otherwise, I like a simple bypass humidifier like Aprilaire 600M or the like. The Prestige IAQ will run any of them just fine.

Post Likes
    The house seems to be pretty tight. The indoor humidity level on the thermostat reads around 42%. Is this low enough to worry about it or should I leave well enough alone?

Post Likes
    At 42% you don't need to add moisture. As the outdoor temp drops and the equipment runs more, that will lower but also the safe humidity level will lower too. You might hold off a bit and see if you really need the humidifier. These days, I think a lot of them are sold that aren't needed.

Post Likes
    Tell us more about The size/location of your home and the number of occupants. A small home with several occupants may get enough moisture from the occupants. Larger homes with two occupants needs humidifier when the outdoor dew points are <30^F for extended days.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    At 42% you don't need to add moisture. As the outdoor temp drops and the equipment runs more, that will lower but also the safe humidity level will lower too. You might hold off a bit and see if you really need the humidifier. These days, I think a lot of them are sold that aren't needed.
    +1.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Yep, give it another month and see how the humidity is.

I don't see that your areas average DP is less then 30 for any real extended length of time.

Post Likes
    The home is two story 1300 sq ft main 1/2 of that has 17ft ceiling, second level 600 sq ft plus full heated and cooled 800 sq ft basement 10' ceilings. We recently installed a 4 ton heat pump rheem classic 13 seer, 90k rheem rgrl 95%, Honeywell prestige therm. The main level also has an empire ventless dual face gas log set that is centrally located. We have the logs controlled by an independent thermostat. We dont burn them all the time. The basement has a ventless empire cast iron gas stove that my wife uses when she works in her office. It also has a separate thermostat. We do have a carbon monoxide detector. We live in middle Tennessee where the winters are relatively mild compared to northern locations. We do get cold here but not extreme cold. What is classified as a too low humidity level < 30? I assume the dp comment is referring to the dew point. My thermostat thinks anything below 40 percent according to the display setting. Also does carbon monoxide rise or does in concentrate at lower levels?

Post Likes
    CO2 when hot is lighter then air.

Too low varies with the house and its windows.

Post Likes
    Lose the ventless heater! If a CO alarm goes off, you are already poisoned. CO is slightly lighter than air above 32 degrees F.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in