Thread: air cleaning??

air cleaning??

according to this:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airclean...alth%20Effects

purifiers don't absolutely work?

i am not so much just talking about indoor toxins as i am about benzine/etc and other pollution from nearby airport and freeways...is there any REAL proven way to have crystal clean air indoors?

Removal of VOCs

Well I hope they do work how else can we convince customers to install them. This is another revenue source when are not repairing or selling new equipment. The jargon from a "Sales Trainer" is that the third level of airborne toxins is handled by the introductions of UVs that can produce .001 ppm O3. This supposedly replicates the natural occurrence in nature. Their are PCOs that are up for debate as to weather or not they truly work. But the presentation is very convincing but not as unbelievable as the Prolong commercials from the late 90s. Depending on the sales man the production of peroxide is the new word floating around in the sales ether for air purifier.

For enough money you can get a clean room set up!! If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
    Last edited by dijit; 10-04-2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo

so are you talking about a combination of devices or one device?

All air inside a home comes from outside. There is a constant natural infiltration/exfiltration rate. The rate of air change varies with the wind/stack pressure, the leakage area in the home, and use of mechanical ventilation/devices.
    As the air passes through the home, we use the oxygen and exhale CO2/moisture. We also load the air with indoor pollutants from the structure and occupant's activities. To renew oxygen and purge indoor pollutants, we need an air change in 5-6 hours. No matter how much filtering you have, we best provide the air changes when the home is occupied. During calm weather without stack effect and mechanical fresh air ventilation, mosdern air tight home may not get an air change in 24 hours. CO2 and indoor pollutant concentrations are excessive and oxygen is below ideal.
    Also to avoid mold and dust mites releasing pollutants in the home, maintain <50%RH to eliminate them.
    After providing fresh air changes and maintaining <50%RH, then consider filtering options. If there are outdoor pollutants, provide the necessary filtering to prevent them from entering the home. With an fresh clean air change in 5 hours, indoor filtering is mostly to keep the equipment clean.
    For green grass climates, the Ultra-Aire whole house ventilating dehumidifier is designed for this application. Filter options include media made to remove gasous pollutants and particulate from the fresh air and indoor air before the blend is circulated throughout the home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

what if i am right next to a 10 lane freeway in downtown Atlanta with 24/7 trucks and cars spitting out exhaust..isn't there also something will fist clean the air before it enters?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmane View Post
    what if i am right next to a 10 lane freeway in downtown Atlanta with 24/7 trucks and cars spitting out exhaust..isn't there also something will fist clean the air before it enters?
    Yes, use a large merv 14 with activated charcoal and potassiumpremagenate filter on the fresh incoming air. This is a special order for the Ultra-Aire filter package.
    Regards
    TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by bobmane View Post
    You can spend almost an infinite amount of money improving air quality. What is your budget and what do you need? What they are trying to say in that EPA link you provided, is that people's needs are not being met by what the HVAC industry can provide at a "practical" cost (i.e., for what people are typically ready to pay).

The most effective approach is continuous positive pressure in a tight house, with HEPA filtration and treatment of fresh air intake (dehumidification, VOC control...). How far you're willing to take this approach is up to you. Whatever you do, I recommend buying instruments to know your situation and how effective your measures are. For example, I don't vacuum the same way since I've had a particle counter. I used to vacuum vigorously with back-and forth motions, until the particle counter showed that it was a bad idea.
    -If you won't turn it on then nothing else matters.