Thread: New Career?

I was reading job discussions. I am currently attending a school for HVAC\R. I'm halfway through the course and have been trying to get a job in the field. No luck yet. I'm certified and trying to change careers. I've been a carpenter for 25 years and I'm burnt out. Starting to wonder if I have chosen the right field.

I know how you feel. 22 years working for GE in appliances and they shut the plant down and moved everything to South Korea. Went back to school and started all over. Coming up on 2 years in the new trade and still think about the old days. I am 46 years old and there are kids working with me that are the same age as my son. They still come to me for help. They don't have any confidence yet and me being older I talk them through the problems. I was doing refrigeration for 22 years in a plant, building all sorts of different fridges and the teachers kept telling me that had nothing to do with what I was there to learn. Somehow I pulled off a 95% average go figure. Keep at it every day is a learning experience the more you learn the better you get.

Originally posted by rws
    I was reading job discussions. I am currently attending a school for HVAC\R. I'm halfway through the course and have been trying to get a job in the field. No luck yet. I'm certified and trying to change careers. I've been a carpenter for 25 years and I'm burnt out. Starting to wonder if I have chosen the right field.
    I was a carpenter for 25yrs and burnt-out also. Went into residential maintenance and took HVACR online. Switched to commercial maintenance which pays more and has a larger variety of heat and air. My pay scale from switching over from carpentry to maintenance really never dropped and i'm getting my hands-on experience. Maybe later i'll try to get together with a Heat & Air Co.; but for now i'm gonna enjoy my "good" pay and limited "Hands-On".
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

What if you can google it?

eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Originally posted by cg2
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I don't know about the rest of the nation, but Denver is hard up for service technicians. Most guys here have a job offer before they are out of school. If you decide to move here, call. Good luck.
    Mike Townsend

Originally posted by visionhvac
    I don't know about the rest of the nation, but Denver is hard up for service technicians. Most guys here have a job offer before they are out of school. If you decide to move here, call. Good luck.

What is the starting pay for someone just getting out of school and how is the cost of living in Denver?

Assuming you would require as much training as the guys getting out of school here, you would start on preventive maintenance making 10-15 per hour. Cost of living is more than Dodge City, Less than California. If you would like to talk more about it feel free to call. Thanks.
    Mike Townsend

Originally posted by visionhvac

Hmmmm...I got a hot ex-girlfriend that teaches at the Univ. of Colorado.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius