Communicating to a Trane MP581 controller through LON

I have a customer that contacted me today regarding a Trane MP581 controller. The customer said the controls contractor on the job doesn't want to connect to the controller via Trane Tracer comm 5, but LON instead. I thought Tracer Comm 5 was pretty much the same as LON? I believe they are using a Tridium JACE as the front end, and they want to connect these controllers to there LON network. They would like us to "map" the points. I really don't know where they want us to map the points to, but I was wondering what is all entaled in this job? The MP581 controllers have already been completely programmed.... So can I just connect the LON network cable to the controllers, and discover all of the points? Or do I need to configure the controllers differently to communicate on a True LON network?

Thanks for any information you can provide me on this.
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    I have a customer that contacted me today regarding a Trane MP581 controller. The customer said the controls contractor on the job doesn't want to connect to the controller via Trane Tracer comm 5, but LON instead. I thought Tracer Comm 5 was pretty much the same as LON? I believe they are using a Tridium JACE as the front end, and they want to connect these controllers to there LON network. They would like us to "map" the points. I really don't know where they want us to map the points to, but I was wondering what is all entaled in this job? The MP581 controllers have already been completely programmed.... So can I just connect the LON network cable to the controllers, and discover all of the points? Or do I need to configure the controllers differently to communicate on a True LON network?

Thanks for any information you can provide me on this.
    Also what is involved in mapping the available points to NVOs and NVIs?
    J. King

'Trane Tracer comm 5' IS 'True Lon'. You can connect the MP580s directly to the LON network. The issue that you will have is mapping the points. In order to do this you will need a copy of the programs.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

and Rover tool of course to make changes or add more nv points.

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    'Trane Tracer comm 5' IS 'True Lon'. You can connect the MP580s directly to the LON network. The issue that you will have is mapping the points. In order to do this you will need a copy of the programs.
    I have Trane Rover Comm 5. The MP581s on these units have already been programmed by a manufacturer called Innovent. I am not sure if they have somehow locked up the program or not, but could I just connect with Rover, pull the program/back it up, and map the points? If so how hard is it to map all of the points? Does Trane have a manual on exactly how to do this? All I have done with NVs is Comm 5 bindings. Like for instance a OAT NVO on a MP503, I have binded to the NVI on a MP581. Does the mapping take place somewhere around the binding portion in Rover?

Thanks for all of the help so far.
    J. King

Mapping the points in not a real big deal. The problem is when you discover them the assigned pt names will not be brought in. I'm not sure what they will look like but for instance they will come in like AnalogInput1, AnalogInput2 or BinaryInput1, BinaryOutput1 etc. The same holds true for the variables and constants. You will need program so you can identify all of the points as they are used in the program.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

The points have to be mapped in TGP, which is done using the Rover service tool. Every desired point has to be linked to a network variable (snvt type). This is not done typically in basic programming as Trane front ends can see the points without additional mapping. Third party integrations require this additional step.

Quote Originally Posted by dboone View Post
    The points have to be mapped in TGP, which is done using the Rover service tool. Every desired point has to be linked to a network variable (snvt type). This is not done typically in basic programming as Trane front ends can see the points without additional mapping. Third party integrations require this additional step.
    So lets say I want to bring a supply fan status input out of the MP581 for viewing. I would have to find the TGP programming that has that binary input in it. Then drag a line in TGP off of it to the correct SNVT type/NVO?

Is there some sort of manual outlining this procedure?

Thanks for all of the information.
    J. King

If I were you I would first see if you can get on that MP581 with your rover and see if the tgp is not password locked. Also if this a factory/oem programmed MP, ask yourself if you will be voiding the warranty if you touch it.
    my 2cents.

So lets say I want to bring a supply fan status input out of the MP581 for viewing. I would have to find the TGP programming that has that binary input in it. Then drag a line in TGP off of it to the correct SNVT type/NVO?

Yes that's correct. Just add the approiate snvt and connect them, recompile and upload the program. What platform are you integrating to?

Name:  RoverMapping.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  99.2 KB

I just made this mapping table as an example for you to see what it will look like....

Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    If I were you I would first see if you can get on that MP581 with your rover and see if the tgp is not password locked. Also if this a factory/oem programmed MP, ask yourself if you will be voiding the warranty if you touch it.
    my 2cents.
    Thanks amigo... I was thinking this same thing. I was going to call the factory tomorrow, and ask them if it was going to void the warranty.

Thanks for your input
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by acddc View Post
    Name:  RoverMapping.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  99.2 KB

I just made this mapping table as an example for you to see what it will look like....
    Thanks a lot. This picture really helps out.
    J. King