Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,921

    Hello Teddy Bear

    Or anyone else with an informed opinion

    Neighborhood clubhouse. About 2500 sq ft. 60% finished/living type area, 40% mens & womens shower and changing rooms. 2 supplies in each changing room, most supplies and all return in the living area. Real problem with moisture in the shower rooms.

    1. Single large dehum tied to the ductwork of the system? Would it help enough in the humid areas?

    2. Small unit, maybe Santa Fe Advance, in each of the changing rooms where the moisture is?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Or anyone else with an informed opinion

    Neighborhood clubhouse. About 2500 sq ft. 60% finished/living type area, 40% mens & womens shower and changing rooms. 2 supplies in each changing room, most supplies and all return in the living area. Real problem with moisture in the shower rooms.

    1. Single large dehum tied to the ductwork of the system? Would it help enough in the humid areas?

    2. Small unit, maybe Santa Fe Advance, in each of the changing rooms where the moisture is?
    During cold winter weather, exhausting air until the space is dry should work. When the outdoor dew point rises above 50^F, dehumidification is needed. The simplest would be as you suggested. The units would visible and the operating noise noticeiable. Set the dehumidistat at <50%RH.
    Going with a Ultra-Aire XT150H with dehu supply into the a/c supply plus a dedicated dehu return from the open space in the space. The dehumidistat needs to be located in the center of the space.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,921
    We may do a 150 with returns in both changing rooms and blow back into the rooms. That way we keep everything separate from the "living" area.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We may do a 150 with returns in both changing rooms and blow back into the rooms. That way we keep everything separate from the "living" area.
    Anything that causes air movement from the wet area to the dehu and back again.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

  5. #5
    I am new to the forum, have a question on Ultra Aire dehumidifer SD12 for teddy bear. Basically, I need its capacity for the whole house dehumification with fresh air intake, the only thing not sure is about the noise level since the only experience I had is with a new portable 70pints unit, at around 55 dba, it is OK when put on basement floor, no noise to the main level although basement is open to the main level. The furnace air handler's fan seems also OK to me, only thing I can hear at the main level is the wind blowering sound from floor registers. I guess that SD12's main noise will be from the blower at 400CFM, not much vibration since the compressor unit is put outside, it should be similar to air handler's noise level except that SD12 may not be sound insulated as the furnance fan does, or may have noise from less balanced blower. An old post mentioned that UA90H is pretty quiete when putting directly on basement floor, its blower speed is at 250CFM, SD12's speed is at 400CFM but without a compressor, I wonder how much differerence it makes, do I need to put an extra plywood board for sound damping, etc, assuming placing it at the basement floor/the unfinished half (with a door) together with other utility equipments (basement is about 1000 sqft, whole house has 3 levels), thanks for any advise!

  6. #6
    I forgot to mention that the old post also says UA 155H is kind of noisy if directly put on attic floor with a hard foam board under/ not hung properly in attic, 155H has about 400CFM blower, similar to SD12, I would like to know how SD12's operating noise compares with 155H's in your experience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydc View Post
    I am new to the forum, have a question on Ultra Aire dehumidifer SD12 for teddy bear. Basically, I need its capacity for the whole house dehumification with fresh air intake, the only thing not sure is about the noise level since the only experience I had is with a new portable 70pints unit, at around 55 dba, it is OK when put on basement floor, no noise to the main level although basement is open to the main level. The furnace air handler's fan seems also OK to me, only thing I can hear at the main level is the wind blowering sound from floor registers. I guess that SD12's main noise will be from the blower at 400CFM, not much vibration since the compressor unit is put outside, it should be similar to air handler's noise level except that SD12 may not be sound insulated as the furnance fan does, or may have noise from less balanced blower. An old post mentioned that UA90H is pretty quiete when putting directly on basement floor, its blower speed is at 250CFM, SD12's speed is at 400CFM but without a compressor, I wonder how much differerence it makes, do I need to put an extra plywood board for sound damping, etc, assuming placing it at the basement floor/the unfinished half (with a door) together with other utility equipments (basement is about 1000 sqft, whole house has 3 levels), thanks for any advise!
    The SD12 is not as noisy because the compressor is outside. It is only fan noise and quiet with flex insulated duct. This a large dehu, 8lbs.per hour and may not be required for you app.
    What is application? 3,000 sqft. home with 100 cfm of fresh makeup air and a dehu in the basement may use the Ultra-Aire XT105H.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    The SD12 is not as noisy because the compressor is outside. It is only fan noise and quiet with flex insulated duct. This a large dehu, 8lbs.per hour and may not be required for you app.
    What is application? 3,000 sqft. home with 100 cfm of fresh makeup air and a dehu in the basement may use the Ultra-Aire XT105H.
    Regards TB
    Each level is 1350, total is about 4000 sqft. I was debating between XT105h and SD12, SD12's extra capacity may be useful when I need more fresh air coming in sometime, but I would rather choose XT105h if it is noticablly quieter than SD12 when installed on basedment floor, I guess SD12 is either as quiet as XT105h or quieter, please confirm it.

  9. #9
    Currently have 100 CFM fresh air from an ERV, if add 100 cfm from UA unit, total will be 200 CFM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydc View Post
    Currently have 100 CFM fresh air from an ERV, if add 100 cfm from UA unit, total will be 200 CFM.
    ULTRA-Aire 105H is the quietest unit and should handle the load. 100 cfm from an erv plus natural should be more than enough fresh air. Adding another 100 cfm is acceptable 95% of the time.
    Consider also the a/c will remove some moisture. The erv removes some moisture from the fresh alr also.
    REgards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

  11. #11
    Thanks for the input, I noticed that XT105h is very efficient and with a right blower speed, but a little worried about its compressor noise since my basement has open stairs to the upper level. So XT105h is still quieter even with the extra compressor, it should be OK to me if the compressor sounds at level of a big refriegerator or not much higher.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI/Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydc View Post
    Thanks for the input, I noticed that XT105h is very efficient and with a right blower speed, but a little worried about its compressor noise since my basement has open stairs to the upper level. So XT105h is still quieter even with the extra compressor, it should be OK to me if the compressor sounds at level of a big refriegerator or not much higher.
    Like a large refrigerator, yes. A small compressor and small fan.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event