Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Owwwww...the managers whose properties I inspect call me "MIke Holmes"...I HOPE not because I'm a drama queen.

...alas, sigh, groan...I shall lose much sleep over this as he is one of my heroes... ;-)
    Look, the guy does great work. But his earlier tv work was "real" after a while he became all Hollywood.
    I have all his books, I do admire what he does, but he doesn't and can't know everything.

He is arrogant and was so the couple of times I met him years ago. I know some of the guys that worked with him in the early years and they do good work but I haven't bothered to watch him for the last few. The panels are still on the roof and there is no problem there. It was just inside work.

Anyway, I going over on Monday and see what mess they wrought........

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Look, the guy does great work. But his earlier tv work was "real" after a while he became all Hollywood.
    I have all his books, I do admire what he does, but he doesn't and can't know everything.
    I figured as much...he fell quite a few notches with me because of that "America's Best Handyman" competition. That stuff I see on there would have me firing him for creating a dangerous work environment.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

If the system was pv, he did the ratepayers of ontario a favour.

He has gotten full of himself telling his subs what is and is not about their trades such as quoting what is approved or not. I know his methods of flashing and masonry are what I remove and repair around here. He's done a lot of good but currently, he is so full of himself or caving in to pressures from his handlers that he has jumped the shark.

On that condenser clearance issue, are you sure that wasn't clearance to a gas regulator vent?

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    He has gotten full of himself telling his subs what is and is not about their trades such as quoting what is approved or not. I know his methods of flashing and masonry are what I remove and repair around here. He's done a lot of good but currently, he is so full of himself or caving in to pressures from his handlers that he has jumped the shark.

On that condenser clearance issue, are you sure that wasn't clearance to a gas regulator vent?
    My neighbours were involved in that show in the beginning and they shook their heads at it. Seems he is pissing off a lot of people and they expect his bubble to burst.

Gas reg.....just extend the vent.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    If the system was pv, he did the ratepayers of ontario a favour.
    What increase in power rates would you find acceptable to help build an industry AND get rid of coal (which is two of the goals)?

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    What increase in power rates would you find acceptable to help build an industry AND get rid of coal (which is two of the goals)?
    A lot of his contributions have been good if recollection serves.

Nobody contributes thoughtful, intelligent, useful posts 100% of the time.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    You're full of crap because solar can't replace coal and an industry isn't a real industry if it has to be subsidized to survive. What we have is a "green energy" bubble that will pop as soon as the conservatives get in and rightly scrap the green energy act.

Getting rid of coal to date has only been accomplished by building a lot of new gas fired plants, at the future expense of electricity and gas customers. (the switch to gas will cause gas rate hikes due to higher demand; electricity rates have already gone up dramatically)

How could an electricity bill be called a hydro bill if the energy was supplied by solar, coal, or natural gas?

i love his show

At one point, most of the electricity in canada was produced by hydro dams. (still is in quebec, manitoba, bc) The term is still used.

didn't solar crashed in the 70s- right after subsidies went away?

There's some good stuff out now, like water source/solar hybrid, but let the industry get their costs down and improve the tech w/o the gov forcing things ahead of the curve and the tech getting a bad rap.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast