+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water furnace operation

Post Likes

Water furnace operation

Just want to know if I see this correctly, Is the earth loop and the potable water mixed? Are you drinking the same water you used to heat/cool your house?

Thanks

Post Likes
    No and no!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tpodany88 View Post
    Are you drinking the same water you used to heat/cool your house?
    I hope not. I read somewhere that the antifreeze solution in the loop isn't good for you.

Post Likes
    Hi and welcome,

What you have there in your diagram is the "fischer price" diagram that explains how a geothermal closed loop system absorbs and disapates heat. Closed loop being the operative word. A stop by our website for a quick tutorial will save a lot of bandwidth here that could be used to answer specific questions after you get some base line education.
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

Post Likes
    What you are forgetting is that those pipes dont' all connect each is a seperate system split like this.
    Potable water system going to the water heater is JUST potable water and does not go in the ground
    Ground loop system is also "usually" a closed loop system that does have antifreeze and is only for transfering heat energy to and from the ground
    Inside air system is the air that gets heated or cooled by the geothermal system.
    So all in all, each loop that shows red and blue air/water is a seperate system and does not intermix.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    I realized how dumb of a question that was soon after posting.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I hope not. I read somewhere that the antifreeze solution in the loop isn't good for you.
    The antifreeze solution we use is Propylene Glycol --Specifically Cryotech -100 -- Supposedly its considered "food grade" and "non-toxic" So i guess you could technically drink it, although I have yet to meet anyone who has!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MWenzel View Post
    The antifreeze solution we use is Propylene Glycol --Specifically Cryotech -100 -- Supposedly its considered "food grade" and "non-toxic" So i guess you could technically drink it, although I have yet to meet anyone who has!
    On another note I wouldn't recommend a taste test of the glycol!

Post Likes
    I think Propylene Glycol is inert... so it passes through you without any real harm in small quantities. It's also biodegradeabel. In concentration <15%, microbes love to eat it... and create wonderful slime that coats your heat exchangers tubes. If you run low on glycol, plan on watching your approach temps go up and efficiency and capacity go down. It also increases the viscosity of the water, so it's harder to pump and reduces heat transfer.

Oh... and it's pricey. We just bought about 2000 gallons of the stuff to fill a 8000-9000 gallon industrial chilled water loop to 25%. I think it ran us $11/gallon even in 225 gallon totes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in