Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,558

    The Wedge Between Rich and Poor

    Copied from http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....g-market/page2 and slightly modified:

    Let's say you are a one-man country. You live on a very small island you own in the North Pacific. Other people live on the island, but they are residents, not citizens. They live by your rules. Some of them work for you.

    You make a living by building widgets and selling them to small companies in various Pacific Rim nations. You import the raw materials. You borrow money from Singapore from time to time to keep your operation running smoothly. You make a profit after expenses of 10%. You plow half of your profit back into the company. You put the other half in the bank.

    You have started your own small bank. You take deposits from and make loans to the residents of your island. This is the bank where you put your own money.

    You started your bank with a $100,000 deposit. This is money you generated from your business. This is real money.

    Now let's say you go into the computer and add a zero to the 100,000, making it 1,000,000. Have you increased your wealth? No. You have injected $900,000 of phony money. You have devalued your currency.

    You have made yourself appear to be wealthier than you are. You have taken the first step in building a house of cards.

    You are a Bernanke.

    Can you get wealthy this way? Yes, of course. You can loan more money and collect more interest. You can invest your bank profits in assets that appreciate in value.

    Not only that, you can help your residents buy nice houses. [With all this new money, you can provide cheap loans for everyone who wants to buy a house. You are happy to help them, so you encourage them to buy.]

    But what else happens to the residents? Over a period of time, prices go up and buying power goes down. Their money is now only worth one tenth of what it was before the injection. So are their retirement accounts. Soon, all their money goes to food and clothing. They have nothing left to pay the mortgage with.

    If your intention was to help your residents buy nice houses in which to live out their lives, you have accomplished the exact opposite.

    They would have been better off renting from you.
    This side effect of cash injection and subsidized homeownership can be summarized simply:
    Inflation is the wedge that drives the split between rich and poor.

    http://www.essortment.com/inflation-...ion-61410.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/A27371298

    People blame the greed of large corporations and rich businessmen for their accumulation of a disproportionate amount of wealth. Some even believe that the accumulation of wealth by rich people is responsible for their own relative lack of wealth. But poor people stay poor because all their assets are in cash. Rich people get richer because they convert their excess cash into assets that hold their value and assets that appreciate in value.

    But when government pours more cash into the economy, it does two things:
    It allows people who make a profit to invest more cash in goods that hold their value.
    It depletes the resources of people whose assets are only in cash and assets which are not easily converted into cash, especially when those non-liquid assets are not paid for.

    So when the government decides to “boost the economy” with subsidies and cash injections, with the proclaimed intention of improving the unemployment rate and enabling small businesses to survive, it is in fact making the economic situation worse. It causes temporary relief from economic pressure; it causes people to believe the economy is improving; it buys votes for the ruling political party; but it destroys the economy in the process.

    Instead of injecting more cash and subsidizing the disadvantaged with cash, government needs to cut spending.

    This is the only way to reduce inflation and its disastrous effects.

    This is the only way to level the playing field between rich and poor.

    Unfortunately, it's a painful process, and it's a good way for the ruling political party to lose popularity.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 09-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    1,664
    stating the obviouse.

    take the money the govt blew in bail outs and divide it into every working mortage paying person in the USA and cut them a check. They would have paid a car loan of or bought a new car (helped out the auto industry and banks) they woulda paid off the mortgage or bought a new home (helped out the housing market and banks) and everyone woulda went on a nice vacation and blew lots of money to the local economy of some area (small town bussiness , banks and jobs) it would have worked all to well.

    the govt is just ignorant and needs overthrown. Unfortunately the people will never stand up, we will just take it or run like we did when we found this island, only problem is there is no new island to be found... so I am thinking of going and helping mexico out, I kinda like the climate there. hell most of them are here now, so it should be pretty vacant land.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    stating the obviouse.


    take the money the govt blew in bail outs and divide it into every working mortage paying person in the USA and cut them a check. They would have paid a car loan of or bought a new car (helped out the auto industry and banks) they woulda paid off the mortgage or bought a new home (helped out the housing market and banks) and everyone woulda went on a nice vacation and blew lots of money to the local economy of some area (small town bussiness , banks and jobs) it would have worked all to well.

    the govt is just ignorant and needs overthrown. Unfortunately the people will never stand up, we will just take it or run like we did when we found this island, only problem is there is no new island to be found... so I am thinking of going and helping mexico out, I kinda like the climate there. hell most of them are here now, so it should be pretty vacant land.
    I would tend to agree to a point. The money Obama spent on bankrupt green energy scams, General Motors, the stimulus.

    But TARP no. TARP was a necessary evil and if the government hadn't done it thousands of banks world wide would have claimed massive losses all on the same day.

    Imagine waking up and none of your gas/credit/debit cards work Banks are closed indefinitely and even ATMs are down.

    Ok so distributing free cash to millions of residents would be a a quick shot in the arm for the economy but it would be very temporary.

    Sustained economic improvement comes from confidence and policies that are pro-bussiness and anti tax.

    A president with such a radical ideology like Obama who agrees with redistrubition basically by his presence alone causes investors and corporations to hold their capital.

    This is the fundamental fallacy of redistributive policies. ( liberals are so so stupid ) The fallacy is that redistrubition gives poor people wealth but it doesn't address why they are poor to begin with.

    So they get cash stolen from the rich and they blow it on nonsense, rims, tvs, gold teef', jewelry, cars, drugs, beer and cigarettes, etc.

    So the rich get their money back and the cycle continues.

    Its a pointless step with maybe some people in the middle picking up some scratch in the interim.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    west burbs,il
    Posts
    145
    Make the big corporations responsible for their actions. Chevy took bailout due to sh?tty vehicles that don't sell. If any smaller business owner starts to crash they don't get bailouts they just close their doors. I don't believe chevy didn't have the money to put forward and save them selves. Inflation, inflation,inflation. Look at the big cable company, 15yrs ago cable was around $25 for expanded option, less peolpe had it. Now cable and dish is all thats available and %90 own either one and paying thru the nose. You would think it would have been more expensive then then now
    Now you got landlords taking advantage of citizens left and right due to housing crash. $1000 average for rent for 1 bedroom come on!! Never owned a home but sure would like one cause it'll reduce my monthly payment to 750-800.Inflation of homes and giving loans well over a persons income was the problem. Buddy bought a house, got approved for $300,000 loan-income less than $15 an hour a year ago at the time. He was smart an took 120,000 home, have the lenders learned anything yet? So I guess if I make 20 an hour I can get a $700,000 loan but not feed myself of course.Not to mention every moron under a rock started flipping houses, even the waitress at steak n egger. I believe greed is one of the big hitters to the problem. I do agree that people have a lack of motivation, unless they're making triple digits a year they don't want the job. No one is happy to be a blue collar and have pride of supporting themselves anymore. Everyone wants to do business management, how many freakin managers do we need to manage other managers my god. Get rid of the titles: government, big box corps, senators, congressman, doctors ,lawyers the list goes on .. just people screwing people- thats sad. I can break this whole thing down, have more to say, and novel. just isn't worth it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I would tend to agree to a point. The money Obama spent on bankrupt green energy scams, General Motors, the stimulus.

    But TARP no. TARP was a necessary evil and if the government hadn't done it thousands of banks world wide would have claimed massive losses all on the same day.

    Imagine waking up and none of your gas/credit/debit cards work Banks are closed indefinitely and even ATMs are down.

    Ok so distributing free cash to millions of residents would be a a quick shot in the arm for the economy but it would be very temporary.

    Sustained economic improvement comes from confidence and policies that are pro-bussiness and anti tax.

    A president with such a radical ideology like Obama who agrees with redistrubition basically by his presence alone causes investors and corporations to hold their capital.

    This is the fundamental fallacy of redistributive policies. ( liberals are so so stupid ) The fallacy is that redistrubition gives poor people wealth but it doesn't address why they are poor to begin with.

    So they get cash stolen from the rich and they blow it on nonsense, rims, tvs, gold teef', jewelry, cars, drugs, beer and cigarettes, etc.

    So the rich get their money back and the cycle continues.

    Its a pointless step with maybe some people in the middle picking up some scratch in the interim.
    So we bailed out the major problems that started the whole problem. Let them flounder. I built my house in 2008, and when I say I built... I built the S.O.B. Every nail,board,shingle, pipe, duct etc. took me 14 months 7 day's a week while working only 4 hr day's mostly at work and 16 on the house. You know it took me 14 month's to close after construction. The bank said it was not valued for what I built it for. All they were doing was bumping my loan to get intrest paymt.

    I have l have lost all and any faith in the banking system, and my wife works at said bank.

    The major problem with today's economy and we pissed money away to bail them out.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    west burbs,il
    Posts
    145
    Damn straight. Can you help me build a house? I'd really like one and I'm good with my hands lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by canusayinsanity View Post
    Damn straight. Can you help me build a house? I'd really like one and I'm good with my hands lol
    Ever heard of cordwood construction?

    It's hard work, but it's cheaper if you have the trees available, and the house lasts a lot longer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,558
    Small clarification about "profit":

    In the OP, when I said "It allows people who make a profit to invest more cash in goods that hold their value," I wasn't just referring to people in business. I meant anyone who lives beneath his/her means and manages to put some money aside. Anyone who spends less than he/she earns is someone who makes a profit.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,558
    The Obama administration and Congress have added more financial and regulatory burdens to American businesses. So American businesses have a tripple whammy: inflation, regulation, taxes. These burdens are increasing, with no end in sight. Business owners have no idea how much buying power their dollars will have after all is said and done, or even whether they will survive Obama's administration. They are not about to spend money on non-liquid assets. They are not about to hire and train someone when the cost of hiring is going up and when there is a real possibility that the new hire will be laid off in the near future. They're hunkering down.

    And right now, they're preparing to return to hibernation mode for the next four years.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    The Obama administration and Congress have added more financial and regulatory burdens to American businesses. So American businesses have a tripple whammy: inflation, regulation, taxes. These burdens are increasing, with no end in sight. Business owners have no idea how much buying power their dollars will have after all is said and done, or even whether they will survive Obama's administration. They are not about to spend money on non-liquid assets. They are not about to hire and train someone when the cost of hiring is going up and when there is a real possibility that the new hire will be laid off in the near future. They're hunkering down.




    And right now, they're preparing to return to hibernation mode for the next four years.

    The economy started crashing upon Obama being elected, He did not even do anything other than win an election. Not even in office yet. Business owners/managers know socialism is bad for the economy and business future. Obama as president is a conceptual jinx on the economy, true to the fear, he is a factual serial killer of the economy as president. It has been a hard 4 years.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Posts
    879
    Oh yes, Obummer the great satan.....

    People forget all too quickly where the nose dive started. Under Bush, the republican... Derp, derp.


    If you are all gonna point fingers, better get to pointing at BOTH sides....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,046
    The downward spiral started when the democrats became the majority in jan 2007... Derp derp

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    Oh yes, Obummer the great satan.....

    People forget all too quickly where the nose dive started. Under Bush, the republican... Derp, derp.


    If you are all gonna point fingers, better get to pointing at BOTH sides....
    This isn't about blame or pointing fingers. It's about identifying the problem and correcting it.

    This isn't the first time inflation and taxes and regulations have been a problem. But right now, these are the problems that are killing our economy. These are the problems we need to fix.

    If you want to talk about blame, or where it all started, let's start a new thread.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event