How to maintain Indoor air quality

Hi everyone...................
    Air Conditioning can maintain the indoor air quality of home as well as office. By this following way we can maintain air conditioning as well as the the indoor air quality.
    1Keeping the outside condensing unit clear of leaves, sticks and debris.
    2.With electricity turned off, rinsing the compressor using a garden hose.
    3.Changing or cleaning the air conditioner filters, according to manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.
    4.Cleaning air filters, which will improve the air flow of your system, saving energy and enhancing the indoor air quality of your home.
    5.Checking fan belt tension periodically, and inspecting hose connections for leaks and cracks, as well as for wear and tear.
    6.If you have an older system, lubricating the fan and motor bearings periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by tclaircondition View Post
    Hi everyone...................
    Air Conditioning can maintain the indoor air quality of home as well as office. By this following way we can maintain air conditioning as well as the the indoor air quality.
    1Keeping the outside condensing unit clear of leaves, sticks and debris.
    2.With electricity turned off, rinsing the compressor using a garden hose.
    3.Changing or cleaning the air conditioner filters, according to manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.
    4.Cleaning air filters, which will improve the air flow of your system, saving energy and enhancing the indoor air quality of your home.
    5.Checking fan belt tension periodically, and inspecting hose connections for leaks and cracks, as well as for wear and tear.
    6.If you have an older system, lubricating the fan and motor bearings periodically.
    You defined have defined one part of indoor air quality. There are two other parts that are equally as important.
    Fresh Filtered Air
    ASHRAE, American Medical ASS, American Lung, and most local codes recommend a fresh air change in 4-5 hours when occupied. Of course blending, conditioning, and circulating the fresh air throughout the home in a comfortable way.

Maintaining 35%-50%RH
    This is usually totally overlooked by most. It is critical for avoiding mold/dust mites/bacteria grow in the home. Also comfort is dependent on the maintaining the 35-50%RH range. Outdoor dew points range from 0^F to 80^F during the year in most of the green grass climates. The a/c setup with a very cold coil and significant cooling cycles maintains 50%RH. Douring low/cooling loads, even Veriable speed a/cs are unable to maintain <50%RH. The mositure from the occupants and fresh air ventilation is 3-4 lbs per hour during low/no cooling load conditions. This will result in 60-70%RH without supplemental dehumidification to remove the moisture load during these times.
    A whole house dehumidifier with the ventilation option when combined with your well maintained/setup a/c is a practical method of providing real indoor air quality.
    Our a/c friends are the ideal way to explain and provide Indoor Air Quality to the homeowners.
    I work for Ultra-Aire, a sponsor of this site.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    You defined have defined one part of indoor air quality. There are two other parts that are equally as important.
    Fresh Filtered Air
    ASHRAE, American Medical ASS, American Lung, and most local codes recommend a fresh air change in 4-5 hours when occupied. Of course blending, conditioning, and circulating the fresh air throughout the home in a comfortable way.

Maintaining 35%-50%RH
    This is usually totally overlooked by most. It is critical for avoiding mold/dust mites/bacteria grow in the home. Also comfort is dependent on the maintaining the 35-50%RH range. Outdoor dew points range from 0^F to 80^F during the year in most of the green grass climates. The a/c setup with a very cold coil and significant cooling cycles maintains 50%RH. Douring low/cooling loads, even Veriable speed a/cs are unable to maintain <50%RH. The mositure from the occupants and fresh air ventilation is 3-4 lbs per hour during low/no cooling load conditions. This will result in 60-70%RH without supplemental dehumidification to remove the moisture load during these times.
    A whole house dehumidifier with the ventilation option when combined with your well maintained/setup a/c is a practical method of providing real indoor air quality.
    Our a/c friends are the ideal way to explain and provide Indoor Air Quality to the homeowners.
    I work for Ultra-Aire, a sponsor of this site.
    Regards TB
    Hi Bro.......
    Thanks for your reply. And share such information with us. It is really helpful. Main purpose of air conditioning is a provide us fresh air and maintain indoor air quality.

4. Other Options

There are also a number of houseplants, like the peacelilly, that can help clean your air. Certainly not a replacement for a clean air filter, but it will definitely help. I wrote about it on one of my blogs at the following link:

http://www.airconditioning-chicagola...r-air-quality/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hello Friends,

Indoor air quality is a major concern to businesses, building managers, tenants, and employees because it can impact the health, comfort, well being, and productivity of building occupants.
    Controlling indoor air quality involves integrating three main strategies. First, manage the sources of pollutants either by removing them from the building or isolating them from people through physical barriers, air pressure relationships, or by controlling the timing of their use. Second, dilute pollutants and remove them from the building through ventilation. Third, use filtration to clean the air of pollutants.

Thanks and Regards,
    Steve Holmes
    Fourth, maintain %RH between 30-50%RH for comfort and control the growth of biologicals like mold, bacteria, and mold.
    I am disappoint but not surprised.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by AC Chicagoland-Dave View Post
    There are also a number of houseplants, like the peacelilly, that can help clean your air. Certainly not a replacement for a clean air filter, but it will definitely help. I wrote about it on one of my blogs at the following link:

Hi.......................
    Thanks for replying and sharing this with us. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hello Friends,

Indoor air quality is a major concern to businesses, building managers, tenants, and employees because it can impact the health, comfort, well being, and productivity of building occupants.
    Controlling indoor air quality involves integrating three main strategies. First, manage the sources of pollutants either by removing them from the building or isolating them from people through physical barriers, air pressure relationships, or by controlling the timing of their use. Second, dilute pollutants and remove them from the building through ventilation. Third, use filtration to clean the air of pollutants.

Thanks and Regards,
    Steve Holmes
    Hi Steve.............................
    Thanks for your reply and appreciate my post. You are right that indoor air quality is big concerns for every places.

Quote Originally Posted by AC Chicagoland-Dave View Post

I always keep one in my toolbag.

As another poster pointed out, managing, diluting and filtering pollutants in your indoor air are key. How you do this and to what extent are going to be determined by your personal preferences and/or needs.

air conditioning

Great tips! now i know how to maintain indoor air quality. Thanks for sharing

Electric Wiring

You can do following things to maintain the indoor air quality-
    -Do not block air vents or grilles.
    -Comply with the office and building smoking policy.
    -Water and maintain office plants properly.
    -Dispose of garbage promptly and properly.
    -Store food correctly.
    -Avoid bringing products in the building that could release harmful or bothersome odors.
    -Notify your building or facility manager immediately if you suspect an indoor air quality problem.

I live in the Willamette Valley located in Oregon. It is said that "Willamette" is a native american word for "land of perpetual sickness". We are the grass seed capital of the world and we have lots of rain, mold, tree pollen and every other type of allergen you can think of. Needless to say, indoor air quality is very important to those of us that suffer from allergies.
    I have cleanroom experience and am familiar with the air quality that can be achieved through HEPA and ULPA filtration in terms of particulates. Ideally indoor air quality could be maintained in a home if the building and mechanical systems were designed like a cleanroom. But the cost of construction and operation would be prohibitive. So what's the best way to maintain indoor air quality in a home? If you could design a system what would you do?
    My idea system would be as follows:
    1. Air to Air heat exchanger. The Air to Air HX would provide fresh air to maintain the required number of air changes to dilute the indoor air and more importantly provide positive air pressurization of the home to prevent air infiltration. Of course the HX would have primary filters to filter out the large particles. Pressure would be maintained by sensing space pressure and varying the amount of indoor air introduced. The pressure would be very low relative to the outdoors because you don't want to force moisture into the wall cavities.
    2. Primary return air filter down stream of the OSA intake. Removes large particle.
    3. Secondary HEPA filter. Remove small particles.
    4. Electronic air filter. Removes particles that get past HEPA filter.
    5. Activated Carbon filter to remove gasses and ozone created by the electronic air filter.
    6. Properly designed air distribution system.

As far as the air distribution system goes, does anyone have opinions of the best material to use for duct in a residential system. I know that in cleanrooms stainless steel is used with external insulation. The problem I have with externally insulated metal duct is that the system is too noisy. I've work with companies that used duct board those were the best systems by far in terms of airflow and noise. With duct board you can design a extended plenum duct system for much less than a sheet metal internally lined system. I'm not sure how a duct board system compares with externally lined metal duct for indoor air quality. I would like to do a test to measure the particle counts and compare the two. I believe that once a duct board system has purged out all of the loose particles, the particle count would not be any higher than a metal line duct.
    Here in the NW humidity is not a big problem. Even thought we get a lot of rain, the humidity level is stays within a comfortable range most of the year.
    The cost to operate would be expensive because the system would run 24/7 and the filters would have to be maintained. But if you suffer from allergies it might be worth it.
    Any thoughts?