Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furnace Combustion Air Intake Question

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    There is nothing wrong with either the venting or the drain. That furnace is approved for single pipe venting.

In fact, the burners will burn cleaner and be slightly more efficient with room temperature air instead of cold outdoor air in the winter.

Really? So combustion principles for furnaces are different than automotive? Maybe I remember a post on this in the Pro section.
    I would say cleaner, in my comparisons, with outside air. No chemicals, household dust, lint debris to be sucked in as combustion air and burned onto the flame sensor.

I don't like drains run in front of furnaces from a service standpoint, but that setup will drain just fine.

That is a very restrictive return air drop and filter connection. I would want that redone if it was mine.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    That's true but not an issue if you dont let leaves build up. The intake and exhaust should be at least 12" above the ground,or above normal snow levels.

Post Likes
    I think cleaner burning might be in reference to either the fuel air ratio changing due to colder denser air. IT also might be expressing how much longer the HE will take to warm up if cold outside air is able to cool it off. I could see this causing some sooting as well as possibly causing some initial condensation in the primary heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    No trap on the indoor coil drain either, around my neck of the woods that's a redtag

Post Likes
    the drain gentleman will possibly spew water out where the humidifier is tied in due to the fact that it is tee-d in at the same height as the coil without a trap, Air pushes past the water at the humidifier.. The humidifier drain shoud be tied in at the floor. Trust me . Ive come back to fix this from my installers a bunch of times. Water all over the floor.

Post Likes
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by jinhuichiwow View Post
    The installation company said they could do it for me, but gave me this warning -

Furnaces with fresh air intake from outside sometimes get junk (leaves and yard wastes) sucked from the outside and this problem is not covered by the warranty...
    tell the appliance delivery people, installers, thats a chance youre willing to take for fresh outside air for combustion

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger man View Post
    I tell the appliance delivery people, installers, that's a chance you're willing to take for fresh outside air for combustion
    and there is a chance you get struck by lightening.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-31-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    and there is a chance you get struck by lightening.
    Odds ill take

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in