Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furnace Combustion Air Intake Question

Post Likes

Furnace Combustion Air Intake Question

Hi guys,

I recently have 2 new American Standard 95% 60,000 and 80,000 BTU furnaces installed. I noticed that the combustion air intakes are not from outside of the house, but rather inside the basement. See the tube stops in the middle of the air. Will that be a problem? Wonder why the installation company didn't use the PVC pipes. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_3907.jpg
Views: 30803
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3907.jpg
Views: 30803
Size:  37.1 KB

Post Likes
    Call them back.
    The job isn't finished!

Post Likes
    I am going to assume, though I hate to do so, that the exhaust does go outside and JUST the intake is from the indoors/basement.

Some units do allow for this installation, provided enough air is available in that space.

However, they SHOULD have run both intake and exhaust outside for best benefit.

I would verify any paperwork description of the install and then call them back to run the intake outside.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I may be wrong but I think many brands now approve single pipe applications. I always run both out unless its impossible or too difficult to do so (like a furnace that's in a basement in the middle of the house and you have to use the existing 4" B-vent stack as a chase for the single 2" PVC exhaust) What makes a high efficiency furnace different from an 80% efficient furnace that draws its combustion from the area its installed? Pro using AOP LOL
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    Get the installers back there. Tell them to fix the drain too

Post Likes
    Were hi-efficiency, large filter (airflow) area filters recommended?

Post Likes
    Most all unit can be installed this way as single pipe, but unless there a specific restriction on installation, it's just a shortcut. My upstairs unit in my attic was instaleld thsi way. When I repalced it this summer I had the combution air piped outside. You have the ability to make it totally sealed combustion and get combustion air from outside, why not just "do it right"? One of the major benefits of HE furnaces is that they are totally sealed combustion.

One interesting thing I've noticed lately, is that the intake often just feeds into the furance cabinet, not directly into a manifold/air box. That makes servicing easier, but it means that you need a screen to keep out bugs and critters and you'll always have soem dust. My tankless water heater is like thsi as well, but have a fine mesh screen that doe sa good job keeping stuff out.... but you need ot clean it every 3-6 months. I cleaned mine after 4 months and it was pretty bad. I could see a LOT of service calls within 1 year because of faults for combustion air as you get into winter and regularly use fully burner capacity because of cold incomming water.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    Thank you for your reply. What is the problem with the drain? Would you please tell me more?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Were hi-efficiency, large filter (airflow) area filters recommended?
    No. We were using the old filters. Didn't replace them.

Post Likes
    Is your front door hard to open since the install?
    The house will be in a vacuum if the house is tight.
    I always take fresh air from the outside

You are using old filters in a new unit? Please get new ones

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jinhuichiwow View Post
    Thank you for your reply. What is the problem with the drain? Would you please tell me more?
    It looks like the furnace drain is not pitched we'll enough to adequately drain, but it could just be the way the pic looks.

Post Likes
    There is nothing wrong with either the venting or the drain. That furnace is approved for single pipe venting.

In fact, the burners will burn cleaner and be slightly more efficient with room temperature air instead of cold outdoor air in the winter.

I don't like drains run in front of furnaces from a service standpoint, but that setup will drain just fine.

That is a very restrictive return air drop and filter connection. I would want that redone if it was mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It looks like the furnace drain is not pitched we'll enough to adequately drain, but it could just be the way the pic looks.
    The way that it is piped if the drain line becomes clogged it will back up into the secondary heat exchanger and continue to fill into the inducer motor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    There is nothing wrong with either the venting or the drain. That furnace is approved for single pipe venting.

In fact, the burners will burn cleaner and be slightly more efficient with room temperature air instead of cold outdoor air in the winter.

I don't like drains run in front of furnaces from a service standpoint, but that setup will drain just fine.

That is a very restrictive return air drop and filter connection. I would want that redone if it was mine.
    x2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Is your front door hard to open since the install?
    The house will be in a vacuum if the house is tight.
    I always take fresh air from the outside

You are using old filters in a new unit? Please get new ones
    Unless the house is hermetically sealed at every joint, I don't think a 50cfm ID fan will be able to create that much suction. I don't see many houses being that ultra tight... especially if they have operable windows.

But yes, it will make the home slightly negative.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Unless the house is hermetically sealed at every joint, I don't think a 50cfm ID fan will be able to create that much suction. I don't see many houses being that ultra tight... especially if they have operable windows.

But yes, it will make the home slightly negative.
    X2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    Please review the AOP Forum rules before posting.

Those rules can be found here.

Thanks,

AOPC

Post Likes
    The installation company said they could do it for me, but gave me this warning -

Furnaces with fresh air intake from outside sometimes get junk (leaves and yard wastes) sucked from the outside and this problem is not covered by the warranty...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jinhuichiwow View Post
    The installation company said they could do it for me, but gave me this warning -

Furnaces with fresh air intake from outside sometimes get junk (leaves and yard wastes) sucked from the outside and this problem is not covered by the warranty...
    It seldom happens, however, I put a "extended" hardware cloth screen on my intake because the exhaust and intake go out where my wall ivy is. I've never had a prob.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    X2
    X3
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in