+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooler Corn

Post Likes

Question Cooler Corn

My sister just sent me this, pretty interesting, will have to try it:

Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly. (which is still in season, no matter that summer already seems like a sad memory)

I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. (And please don't spell it "lobstah". It's not funny.) Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set (I found a handful of mentions on various camping websites). But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer, now that I'm in the know.
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Cool!

I wonder if it will work as well if the corn is not shucked. I prefer corn to cook in it's own wrapping. It's also easier to remove the husk after the corn is cooked.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Eight minutes in the microwave cooked in the husk is my favorite way. No loss to the water.

Sweet corn has changed a lot. Books used to say boil the water then run to the garden, grab the corn and run back. Store bought corn was always starchy.
    The sugars started to change to starches right away. Then in Illinois a University developed a corn in the late 70's where every 4th kernel was sweet. Now they all are sweet and stay that way after being picked for days. Amazing piece of work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Eight minutes in the microwave cooked in the husk is my favorite way. No loss to the water.

Sweet corn has changed a lot. Books used to say boil the water then run to the garden, grab the corn and run back. Store bought corn was always starchy.
    The sugars started to change to starches right away. Then in Illinois a University developed a corn in the late 70's where every 4th kernel was sweet. Now they all are sweet and stay that way after being picked for days. Amazing piece of work.
    Microwave in the husk for me too, if I'm not grilling. If I'm grilling, I just put the corn in the husk in a rack in the grill lid.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Grill it on a charcoal grill is really good too. Remove it from the husk, rub some butter on it then salt and pepper it. Throw it on the grill turn it once. Grill it until it starts to turn brown.

Post Likes
    One more way. Submerge the ears in cold water for about 5-10 mins. Pull back the leaves and pull all of the silk out. Put the leaves back in place and wrap the ears individually in aluminum foil. Pop them on the grille for 20 mins or so.

Post Likes
    just found out you do not want to do the cooler corn , it's a hoax and should not be attempted to do...so with that saying just save yourself and family from getting sick
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    Never heard of it either, will have to give it a try since the holidy season is coming up. Would be a great way to do corn for Thanksgiving.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    just found out you do not want to do the cooler corn , it's a hoax and should not be attempted to do...so with that saying just save yourself and family from getting sick
    Well, it isn't a hoax because it does work. The concern is whether or not toxins will leech from the plastic liner of coolers and contaminate the corn. If this is a concern, you could simply line the bottom of the cooler with aluminum foil. I will be checking out to see if plastic leeches toxins at 212 degrees F. or not. That is the hottest a cooler could ever get using this method.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    This makes me feel that the plastic in a cooler is not going to harm me because I cooked corn in the cooler;
    Research says:
    Not proven.
    According to the FDA, all plastic materials used in containers intended for food use (called "food contact substances") are reviewed and tested for leakage of toxic chemicals such as dioxins.
    "It's true that substances used to make plastics can leach into food," says Edward Machuga, Ph.D., a consumer safety officer in the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. "But as part of the approval process, the FDA considers the amount of a substance expected to migrate into food and the toxicological concerns about the particular chemical." According to the FDA, if the levels of migrating chemicals in food contact substances are found to be unsafe, the product cannot be marketed. Thus, any store-bought plastic food container, as long as it is used according to directions, is safe from toxic contamination.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Put a tuperware container or maybe even a large cooking pot in the cooler then add the boiling water to it and place its own lid on top.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Put a tuperware container or maybe even a large cooking pot in the cooler then add the boiling water to it and place its own lid on top.
    Good one. Anything that is designed to not leech toxins will do. However, it looks as though there are enough regulations on plastics that come into contact with food that the cooler itself is most likely safe.

Then again, the Tupperware idea should satisfy the most worrisome of you.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    Snopes is not a good source for technical advice. If you look at the way Snopes words most of their answers, there is a lot of vague wording. That's because Snopes doesn't really bother to investigate issues beyond being true, false or accurate. In true liberal fashion, Snopes does like to sound more authoritive then it is. In this case, the only thing that is truly accurate from the Snopes article on this is that it is "true".
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    this is food where cooking not some tech advice JMO...just saying be careful how you cook stuff.... personally I like my corn grilled . First I shuck them then soak the ears in hot salty water for an hour & no more than that. Then grill ...next year I'll be growing about an acre of sweet corn ..can not wait !
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    this is food where cooking not some tech advice JMO...just saying be careful how you cook stuff.... personally I like my corn grilled . First I shuck them then soak the ears in hot salty water for an hour & no more than that. Then grill ...next year I'll be growing about an acre of sweet corn ..can not wait !
    I agree that we should always be careful when it comes to food. That is why I went to more technically oriented sources for safety factors of cooking in plastic.

I like my corn cooked in the husk on either an open fire or if I have to, in the microwave. Actually, we haven't had a microwave for over a year, since we bought the new house.
    Training is important!

Post Likes

Smile

Thank You AC guy's Chick. I would have tried this. It makes sense though not to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky59 View Post
    Thank You AC guy's Chick. I would have tried this. It makes sense though not to.
    Ahhhh, come on now! Bucky up and be a man! We try just about anything that didn't kill the last person that tried it
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Ahhhh, come on now! Bucky up and be a man! We try just about anything that didn't kill the last person that tried it
    You 1st Robin
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    You 1st Robin
    I am somewhat a fatalist, so my trying something like that is absolutely no problem. Then again, after doing research on it, I don't even think there is a remote chance that it can be harmful.

You want to be concerned about harmful? Start looking at what all of the processed soy in foods today can do to you.
    Training is important!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in