Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that year

Name that year

Yes this was still in use! Name:  IMG118.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  34.1 KB
    Who the hell put this return in the bathroom.

190DAYM!!!
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

1800 bc haha

ive worked on one of those in my life when i first started about 10 years ago. it was in a basement with a bunch of round lines coming from it. looked like a octopus

it was radiant heat. dont believe it had a blower. also think it was wood fired

At least yours was converted to gas. This one is still guzzling oil like it's going out of style:

Although mine did have the blower 'upgrade'.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Mom lived in a house with her Mom & Great Uncle Fred. They had one of them, still burned coal in the 50s. Uncle Fred would return from downtown at night after hitting the bars. He'd head down to throw come more coal on. Mom would have to follow him down and keep an eye on him. He tended to get carried away and roast the house. Not like having a T87 on the wall!

Most of those, at least up here, date from the 1920's and 1930's. They were originally coal fired and most were later converted to oil. Gravity is correct. They were a gravity hot air system. No blower, no moving parts in the original. A single return, strategically located and an octopus style supply pattern.

We have slowly removed them over the years up here. To the detriment of comfort in many cases. They weren't overly efficient but were extremely comfortable. The house seemed to fill up with warm air.

That one is in much better shape than most that I run into. Not a "Wall of Shame" in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    That one is in much better shape than most that I run into. Not a "Wall of Shame" in my book.
    X2
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Looks brand new, not wall of shame material in my book either.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    ive worked on one of those in my life when i first started about 10 years ago. it was in a basement with a bunch of round lines coming from it. looked like a octopus
    That's how we refer to them as, an "octopus" just figured the was the correct term lol, never worked on any but seen one.

Last year I worked in this super old oil to gas conversion boiler, it was really weird, I had 3 people staring at me while I tried to figure out how to lite the thermocouple, I had to pull the burner out and lite it then put it back together. Im sure it wasnt the right way but the customer was less than helpful so I improvised. Sorry for the hijack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast