Upright "Gatorade" Drink Cooler Not Cooling...

I have a Beverage Air commercial beverage cooler like you see in stores. The model number is MT21?

It quit cooling. I removed the vent cover at the bottom and the coils were very clogged with dust. I noticed that the coils were pretty warm and after I removed the dirt, they started to cool down (a little). Then the compressor kicked on and they the coils started getting HOT.

I unplugged the cooler and started looking on the internet for an explanation, with no luck.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by fast67vette View Post

Can anyone help? Thanks!!
    You may get some general answers but this is not a DIY site.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ad-these-rules

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    You may get some general answers but this is not a DIY site.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ad-these-rules
    That is all I'm looking for. Thanks

Before doing anything, please be careful that you don't chop off your fingers in the sharp metal fan blade.

It is supposed to get warm down there when it is running, and the discharge pipe going from the compressor to the top of the coil will be hot. This is normal.

The condenser might still be packed with dust, though. You might want to try using a shop-vac or compressed air to clean it better if you haven't done so yet. It is normal for them to stop cooling when they get dirty like this. Those coils really should be cleaned on a regular schedule. Every couple of months or so.

Sometimes a good condenser cleaning is all they need to get working again. Other times, the dirty coil will cause the refrigerant oil to sludge up and internally clog up the system, and cause the compressor to overheat and wreck itself.

Does the condenser fan run when the compressor comes on?

No, I plugged it back in and when the compressor started the fan did not come on. The coils got hot and I could smell something burning (guess it was dust).

The entire condenser coil gets hot...including the semi circle shaped copper tubes that run down the side of the condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by fast67vette View Post
    No, I plugged it back in and when the compressor started the fan did not come on. The coils got hot and I could smell something burning (guess it was dust).

It is time to leave the unit unplugged until you get that fan repaired.