Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service Experts say duct was NEVER connected! bS!

I had them put a new unit in my loft condo 4 yrs ago. I've had a renter in it ever since. I recently sold it and upon the real estate inspection they found upstairs register not working. I sent SE over to investigate/fix and the guy says the duct isn't connected and never has been. They are wanting to charge me $ to go into the wall and fix. This is such BS! That vent always worked when I lived there. I changed the upstairs filter regularly. The renter just never noticed or cared. If it was never connected how did it pass at least 3-4 other inspections over the last 16 yrs?! What can I do? How can I fight them?? Help please.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-26-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: price

Quote Originally Posted by Hpnnc7 View Post
    I had them put a new unit in my loft condo 4 yrs ago. I've had a renter in it ever since. I recently sold it and upon the real estate inspection they found upstairs register not working. I sent SE over to investigate/fix and the guy says the duct isn't connected and never has been. They are wanting to charge me $$ to go into the wall and fix. This is such BS! That vent always worked when I lived there. I changed the upstairs filter regularly. The renter just never noticed or cared. If it was never connected how did it pass at least 3-4 other inspections over the last 16 yrs?! What can I do? How can I fight them?? Help please.
    Call another contractor
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-26-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: price in quote

Not sure it matters when it came off or if it was never connected. Not their fault. Not your fault. Just needs to be fixed. Nothing to fight about is there? He found the problem. He didn't cause it did he?

Our junior boss bought a new used house, addition was 10 years old. Almost no airflow upstairs. Installer and I went into the attic and found the 10" run had a section of metal pipe in the flex in the wall from the basement. Came apart and was blowing into the attic. Had to cut open the drywall to reattach. And yes, a supposedly top notch home inspection firm checked it out when he bought it.

Changing the upstairs air filter regularly, doesn't imply that a supply was working.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-26-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Thank you all. I just don't understand why they wouldn't mention to me when they installed new unit that there was no air flow upstairs. He said it had never been attached. I understand it could have fallen off since then, but he said it was never there. I'm sure if they had noticed it then, they would've more than welcomed the opportunity to fix it to code for more $. Just confused.

After 4 years highly unlikely any company would fix it for free ,call for a second price
    We really need change now

Do you have the receipts from when "SE" did the original duct work. If not, or if it wasn't "SE" that did the original duct work, then it isn't their problem.

You could try calling them and talking to whoever is in charge over there and explain your situation to them and ask for some sympathy. Tell them that you paid them a bunch of money about 4 years ago to upgrade your system and it appears that they may have overlooked this important detail. Don't try to fight with them. Just be nice and explain your situation. They might be willing to work with you, but like the others have mentioned, after 4 years there's no guarantee.

leaker2, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Hpnnc7 View Post
    Thank you all. I just don't understand why they wouldn't mention to me when they installed new unit that there was no air flow upstairs. He said it had never been attached. I understand it could have fallen off since then, but he said it was never there. I'm sure if they had noticed it then, they would've more than welcomed the opportunity to fix it to code for more $. Just confused.
    I never go up to a second floor to make sure the vents blow air on a replacement.
    Not unless a homeowner brings the issue to my attention, or I notice ill equitment performance.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Email addresses are not allowed in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Email addresses are not allowed in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.
    Reviving an old thread, eh beenthere?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast