Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier TSTATCCPHP01-B

Post Likes
    I recently had an Amana heat pump and furnace system installed in my home, controlled by a Carrier TSTATCCPHP01-B thermostat. The furnace fires up in the morning (50F outside) despite the fact that the thermostat is set to lock out the furnace for outdoor temperatures higher than 35F (actually the HP is turned on first and then after 15 min or so the furnace fires up until the set temperature is reached). Is it something wrong with my thermostat? Please help!! Thank you.

Post Likes
    That thermostat can't handle dual fuel control on its own. You need a different thermostat, or your contractor needs to add a fossil fuel kit.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Not sure why the contractor chose to control the Amana equipment with the Carrier thermostat. But I agree that the thermostat can not control the dual fuel application

Post Likes
    You need TSTATCCPRH01-B Carrier Thermidistat. This handles AC,HP,A2 for two speed AC, DF for 1 speed duel fuel, D2 for 2-speed duel fuel, and HS for 1-speed heat pump with intelligent heat staging.

Thorton

Post Likes
    Thornton is correct!!I would not go with anything else.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes

Thermostat

Yes I agree I think the best solution is to have the thermostat replaced.
    Jerry's Heating & A/C,LLC

Post Likes
    I apologize for providing wrong information and wasting everybody’s time. Initially I was unable to locate the model number on my thermostat and on Carrier’s web site the only thermostat that looks like mine is the TSTATCCPHP01-B. Today I opened it up and I think I found the model number (it was hidden inside): TSTATCCPDF01-B.

[Edited by paurel on 10-08-2006 at 04:45 PM]

Post Likes
    Paurel,

There are two setting in that thermostat..

One is a back-up lockout, that will lock out the furnace from coming on at all if the temperature is above the set temp.. Most technicians do not set the backup lockout up and leave this setting on off to let the thermostat decide if the heatpump is keeping up with the demand and if not have the option to run the backup heat.. If your thermostat is coming out of a setback from night it is common that backup may be needed to bring the temp back up..

The second setting is the balance point temp that locks out the heat-pump from running at all below the set temp.. Most techs in my area set this setting for 30.. When it is below 30 the gas heat will run as first stage and the heatpump will not run until is gets above 30.. My dads set-up is set at 15 and it does an excellant job but some homeowners don't like the cooler are that a heat-pump produces at lower temps..

It sounds like your dual fuel thermostat is operating normally.. Do not use a setback on a dual-fuel application until the temp drops below your balance point temp.. A heatpump works best at a steady temp...

Goodluck
    hope this helps..
    J

Post Likes
    Thank you for your input Advanced Response but it doesn’t answer my question. The back-up lockout setting is ON and the lockout temperature is set at 35F.

Post Likes
    He did answer your question.The books that come with them are fairly detailed on sequence of operation.Did they leave the literature with you?
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by paurel
    I recently had an Amana heat pump and furnace system installed in my home, controlled by a Carrier TSTATCCPHP01-B thermostat. The furnace fires up in the morning (50F outside) despite the fact that the thermostat is set to lock out the furnace for outdoor temperatures higher than 35F (actually the HP is turned on first and then after 15 min or so the furnace fires up until the set temperature is reached). Is it something wrong with my thermostat? Please help!! Thank you.

The regular owner's manual doesn't explain the lockout setting. You need the following pamphlet:
    Programmable Dual Fuel Thermostats. Installation, Start-Up, and Operating Instructions.
    You'll find the required instructions at :
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com

[Edited by deme on 10-11-2006 at 12:31 PM]

Post Likes
    First of all I want to thank everybody for their replies. Deme, thank you for the link - I found the pamphlet and I’d like to quote a small fragment.

Option 8—Auxiliary Heat Lockout Setting
    This option allows selection of an outdoor temperature of 5° through 55°F in 5° steps (or equivalent values in C), or OF (off). Furnace is prevented from operating for outdoor temperatures above the selected temperature. If OF (off) is selected, furnace operation is allowed at all outdoor temperatures. If selected, emergency heat (EHEAT) overrides this feature.

I might get this wrong but I thought that, when this feature is enabled and the outdoor temperature is above the set temperature, the furnace will not operate NO MATTER WHAT (except for the EHEAT of course). In my case this doesn’t happen.

Post Likes
    Yes, paurel, you have interperated this correctly. I have the Carrier Thermidistat that I mentioned earlier in the thread and I have it locked out to 5 degrees F. I have electrial fan coil with 15 KW back-up heat that doesn't come on until outside temperature is at 5 degress or lower.

Thorton

Post Likes
    The aux heat source will energize during a defrost regardless of your lockout temperature setting unless you program '0' for your heat stages during defrost setting. The rest of your interpretation is correct.

Post Likes
    You may also want to check out option 10 in your Thermidistat operating manuel. Option # 10 duel fuel equipment prevents similtanous operation of both furnace and heat pump operation. When system is duel fuel ( heat pump and furnace) set to ON.

As far as what jrbenny says it's not clear to me in the Thermidistat operating instructions in a duel fuel application if the defrost heat can be turned off completely or not. I was under the impression in my application which is heat pump and fancoil with 15 KW of supplimental heat that I could turn off defrost heat completely if 0 was selected under option 12. Could you clear this up for me, please jrbenny? I read here that you are a Carrier expert and would really appreciate your input on this.

Thorton

Post Likes
    If 0 is selected and the system is wired properly, then there will be no aux heat during the defrost. I did it on my old system. However, if I explain how to wire it, I'll be breaking the site rules.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jrbenny
    If 0 is selected and the system is wired properly, then there will be no aux heat during the defrost. I did it on my old system. However, if I explain how to wire it, I'll be breaking the site rules.
    Thank-you sir for responding to my question. No, I wouldn't attempt to re-wire my self or would I expect you to break the rules and tell me how to re-wire it. Another question though, do you see any problem not having any heat on during defrost. Does this slow down the defrosting or anything like this? Is it harder on the machine? Thanks again for your input. Also I think that my system is already wired this way. I have experimented with option # 12. When I select 0, I can't feel any notceable heat, at least at the supply air registers, anyways. This why I think my system is already wired the way you had your old system wired.

Thorton

[Edited by thorton on 10-12-2006 at 08:23 AM]

Post Likes
    Jrbenny, is it possible to have a defrost cycle initiated when the outside temperature is 50F? How can I access these defrost settings that you are talking about? Thank you

Thorton, option 10 is not available on my tstat – probably it’s a newer version. The only options available are 1, 2, 3, 8, 11, 13 and 15. Thank you.

Post Likes
    First of all I want to thank everybody for their replies. Deme, thank you for the link - I found the pamphlet and I’d like to quote a small fragment.

Option 8—Auxiliary Heat Lockout Setting
    This option allows selection of an outdoor temperature of 5° through 55°F in 5° steps (or equivalent values in C), or OF (off). Furnace is prevented from operating for outdoor temperatures above the selected temperature. If OF (off) is selected, furnace operation is allowed at all outdoor temperatures. If selected, emergency heat (EHEAT) overrides this feature.

I might get this wrong but I thought that, when this feature is enabled and the outdoor temperature is above the set temperature, the furnace will not operate NO MATTER WHAT (except for the EHEAT of course). In my case this doesn’t happen.
    I don't know if this applies in your case but regardless of the lockout setting, the furnace will operate when the system calls for a defrost.

Post Likes
    Jrbenny, is it possible to have a defrost cycle initiated when the outside temperature is 50F? How can I access these defrost settings that you are talking about? Thank you

Thorton, option 10 is not available on my tstat – probably it’s a newer version. The only options available are 1, 2, 3, 8, 11, 13 and 15. Thank you.
    You can't as you don't have a Thermidistat. A defrost is possible above 50. Not likely to happen often, but it's possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in