+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ADX/NAE IP Routing

Post Likes

ADX/NAE IP Routing

We currently have an ADX and several NAE's on a dedicated LAN, using Static Addressing. One of the NAE's was setup to bring in some BACnet IP points from third party controllers onto the system for monitoring. We had a little network problem recently and got the network back up a few hours later. We noticed that the only NAE that did not come back was the one with the BACnet points. I found out that its IP address is something like 172.16.1.xx with a gateway in the same range. The rest of our LAN is a 192.168.1.xx network. There is a small Linksys router installed in the panel that was providing the interface to our LAN. Since this stuff was all installed by someone else, we could not access the router and had to default it; it wasn't working anyway. But, my problem remains that we cannot see the NAE; it shows on the ADX as Off-line. I temporarily readdressed the NAE to an IP on our LAN and it came up, but I cannot see the BACnet IP points, because we removed the router. I was told that due to a limitation in the third party controllers, the NAE had to be setup to exist on their little 172.16.1xx network.

So, I gave the router a WAN address on our LAN 192.168.1.xx, then setup the LAN side to use the 172.16.1.xx addressing scheme. I also setup the NAE with a 172.16.1.xx address to match the former setup. Still not communicating with the ADX. I plugged my laptop into the LAN side of the router 172. and can ping the ADX, but the server cannot ping the NAE. It can ping the router on the WAN. I figured maybe porting is an issue, so Enabled the DMZ for my NAE, still no good. Long story short, I am looking for the porting information to try and port forward to the NAE. Does anyone have this information or maybe can recommend some IP settings for me to try. It was working before, so I can't imagine it was too complicated of a setup. I also tried using static routing within the 172 LAN, but could not get the router to accept any of my entries. It kept telling me that my Static Route was invalid. I don't understand why we lost it when the system was down, since we did not change anything. It was a server communication issue with the NIC. Anyway, at this point, I just want to get the NAE and BACnet devices on-line and am willing to try any configuration. This is one for the networking minds. Thanks.

Post Likes
    pretty sure that a static route 172.x.x.x/24 will NOT work for a router with IP 192.x.x.x
    you'll need a vlan ... everytime I try setting up vlan i manage to lock myself out of the router
    need somebody that knows about routing.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes
    I am curious about the limitation of the third party device and why it can not communicate on 192 instead of 172? Are you sure with the recent network issue that the settings in the third party device are correct or the issue caused a gateway failure or something. It worked before the failure...
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    I also asked the same question about the device. It is a Field Server and I don't know if the limitation is there or with the other stuff it is collecting data from. I personally think it is the other hardware. I've interfaced to Field Servers before and have not had any problems, but were using MS/TP setups. I think my next step is to simply replace the router. I worked on it again yesterday and still cannot get the system to talk. It's possible that the router went bad, but kind of a coincidence. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DST-Tech View Post
    I also asked the same question about the device. It is a Field Server and I don't know if the limitation is there or with the other stuff it is collecting data from. I personally think it is the other hardware. I've interfaced to Field Servers before and have not had any problems, but were using MS/TP setups. I think my next step is to simply replace the router. I worked on it again yesterday and still cannot get the system to talk. It's possible that the router went bad, but kind of a coincidence. Thanks.

What's the model number of the router? Because the router needs to be setup with routing. Bascially the field server communictes via 172 which gets translated to 192 by the router. This is the part you're missing. The router has a login which you can configure this.

But as berg2666 says, why can't the fieldserver be setup with 192? We have done over 10 fieldserver devices all BACnet/IP and have had no issues getting it to work with the NAE.

You configure the fieldserver via it's tools and bing bang it's online.

Post Likes
    I have configured routers before and I understand that the translation is going from the WAN to the LAN. I have never setup a Field Server and do not want to mess with it unless absolutely necessary. We will install a new router tomorrow and hopefully we will be back in business. If not, I will suggest to my customer that they have the Field Server setup to work on our 192 network. Thanks for the responses.

Post Likes
    I have configured routers before and I understand that the translation is going from the WAN to the LAN. I have never setup a Field Server and do not want to mess with it unless absolutely necessary. We will install a new router tomorrow and hopefully we will be back in business. If not, I will suggest to my customer that they have the Field Server setup to work on our 192 network. Thanks for the responses.
    Not sure what FieldServer device you have, but they are setup with a default IP address of 192.168.2.X . If you go online and refer to the FieldServer Utilities Manual, it's very simple to change the FieldServer’s IP address.

So it must have been changed at one time to 172? Can you log into the fieldserver via network, using it's tool?

Post Likes
    There are several other GE devices I believe that are providing data to the Field Server. If I change its IP address, it may not be able to communicate with the other devices. Once we replace the router, I will have a better idea on what the next step is. Preferably, I would like it on our network, but will have to have the providers of the 3rd party equipment make those changes if needed; liability stuff and politics.

Post Likes
    There are several other GE devices I believe that are providing data to the Field Server. If I change its IP address, it may not be able to communicate with the other devices. Once we replace the router, I will have a better idea on what the next step is. Preferably, I would like it on our network, but will have to have the providers of the 3rd party equipment make those changes if needed; liability stuff and politics.
    FYI - The field server is designed with two parts. The first part is communicating with the GE stuff, via network, serial etc. This part is setup in the configuration file and can be found based on the application on the fieldserver web site. The second part, since it's BACnet uses network and can be setup with a BBMD to communicate via BACnet.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in