Thread: heat pumps

I was going over the est. for two new Bryant A/C systems (one with zones) in my house after going with a zoned Bryant heat and A/C system for my mother's house. Both in NJ

With all the talk about heat pumps on the forum -- I was giving them a look. My house has radiant heat and I thought that it would be nice this time of year to be able to turn the HP on to take the chill out of the house in the morning - without turning on the radiant system. Since my mother's unit was just being ordered I figured I would just order the heat pump. Installer indicated no problem - just add the higher equipment cost.

My question -- when I looked at the Bryants (and then others) I noticed for a given size the HP in A/C mode are less efficient than straight A/C -- WHY?

PSE&G is my energy company -- they set a very high bar for the HP rebate. Very hard to hit - no problem with A/C. When you add up the lower Bryant rebate for HP systems, the lack of the energy company rebate and the cost of the heat pump -- the added cost vs actuall use time does not add up. You can buy a lot of natural gas.

My mother is in her 80's and I wondered about the HP temp -- I was just going to give it a try.

Why the lower SEER in A/C mode

Wink

as of Jan.(last year)everything in our industry has to be 13 seer,unless of course,someone can still get a hold of a 10 seer piece of equipment.......could the ac only be a 10 seer quote?.......ask them what the price difference would be for a 13 seer heat pump replacement......good luck!!!!!

I live in NJ as well. You may want to figure the cost of running the heat pump because in my area the total cost per kwh is about.15

That seems to be quite a bit to pay for electric rate in order to save money in terms of efficiency. I'm a homeowner and don't know the calculation for the savings. Maybe someone else can explain it. I'm under the impression that past a certain kwh charge, there is not a lot of savings to be had. Your area of NJ may be different.

In an HP the refrigerant has to pass through a reversing valve and associated additional copper tubing. Those extras provide extra pressure drops and heat gain / loss, both of which would slightly reduce efficiency.

I wouldn't think the loss of efficiency would be noticeable, but it is there.

If I had radiant, I'd much prefer to run that for heat anyway.

The point I was trying to make was that when you look at the Bryant/Carrier line -- say Evolution

The same size and type of compressor - The HP does not deliver the same SEER in the A/C mode as the straight A/C-- more like 15 vs 17.

I was wondering why.

My thought on the HP for my house was that I could introduce some heat quickly to the house on chilly mornings - when turning on the radiant system would take longer to heat up and more than likely stay too warm when the sun came out. I currently have straight A/C systems.

I originally thought that the small aditional cost of the heat pump would be a good buy to provide this quite rare need for heat at the eary and late parts of the heating season, when the radiant system is not on. I also know that I could add a strip heater to the units - but I do not think the electric wire to the inside units is large enough.

But the actual costs to do this were more than I thought when you add in the rebates -- AND the lower SEER of the unit. I am buying the unit for A/C -- and it will be running for at least 5 months of the year.