Is this Trane system reasonable in terms of configuration and price?

I am a new home owner and know little about HVAC system.

I have 2 systems, which are both 25+ years old so I need to replace one. I only have budget for one system, and I am very nervous about getting quotes from various sources - I don't know who to trust and it seems very expensive.

Below is one configuration I got, and I was quoted for $. (I live in New Jersey. The old system is a Carrier).

Any thoughts re the validity of the configuration and price would be much appreciated!

One Trane model 4TTB4036E1000A R410A 3 ton condenser.
    One Trane model TUH2080A9V4VA 80,000 btu 95% natural gas furnace
    One Trane model 4TXCC037BC3HCA evaporator coil
    One Trane model 602 thermostat
    One Aprilaire model 600 humidifier
    One Aprilaire model 2410 air purifier
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-25-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: price

Sorry, prices and pricing question are not permitted here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Don't know why the 21" coil on a 17" furnace. I highly doubt they will do a nice transition, they'll just slap it down and tape it in place. So I'd ask why not use a 036 coil to match the furnace. Same performance. 14.50 SEER, ends up about 2.75 ton. But otherwise a nice setup.

How big is the house? 2 stories? insulation values? Age of home? Was a manual j load calculation done to size the equipment or did they quote you the same as existing equipment? Any upgrades to house? Any additions to home? Answer these and we may be able to help you be a more informed buyer. HVAC is a large investment and you want to be comfortable and save on your utilities a bit with new equipment.

Thanks for all those pro questions and reminder re no pricing.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't given a configuration that uses discontinued models or just parts thrown together without proper matching...

2 story house built in 1940s. 3300 Sqr-foot. 2 heat zones. 5 bedrooms all upstairs. No plan to upgrade house in near future (i.e. 5-7 years). Didn't do a manual J load.

Other configurations offerred are:
    Carrier 24ANB6S6ACC3 1613 EER for air-cooled condensing unit
    Carrier evaporator coil/fan CNPVPs717
    Carrier gas fired furnace 59TP5A080E17 at AFUE 96%

air conditioning capacity 36,000
    BTUH 3 tons
    Heating capacity 80,000 2-stage

Thanks! I don't know the answer so I will ask. My uneducated guess is trying to get to certain SEER (16?) to qualify for certain energy rebates? I could be totally wrong - was a total guess...

Thumbs up

Manual J calc should be performed after a blower door test.

1940's house would be rather difficult to estimate cooling load with sufficent accuracy not KNOWING infiltration, windows types (1 or 2 pane/ U-value , tinted [SHGC < 0.55] or clear [SHGC =~0.9 ] and orientation.

Guess work_ is probable not going to gain Your confidence nor get you where you need to be in terms of comfort and controlling operating costs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Equipment should be 2nd part of process. Great equipment will do a lousy job if not sized properly.