Thread: fireplace liner

I just got my boiler chimney lined with SS 6" liner as my chimney was never completely lined and was built in 1919. The only lining is the seperation b/t the boier and fp which seems to be very weathered terracotta. All of the other walls are the original brick. Everyone that has looked at it said do not use the fireplace which makes sense. The chimney guy who did the boiler liner gave me an estimate to reline the fireplace side as well but I have yet to get this done. My question is whether it will vent succesfully or if he is just trying ot get me to spend $ for something that won't work anyway.

He recommends a 6x10 rectangular SS liner. My chimney from firebox to top is about 25 ft. The width at the widest point of the firebox is 30 inches but it is only 19-20 inches deep. I read somewhere that with a rectangular liner you needed a 10:1 ratio of firebox area to liner area. But I just read some comments that the height of the chimney was a factor as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

do you want something that will actually heat your house, or just suck heat out your chimney? Could consider getting a wood insert.

I just would like to use the fireplace occasionally and I want to make sure that smoke doesn't back up into my house because it can't vent properly.

Another estimate I got suggested to rebuild the smoke chamber and use an 8 inch circular liner. This would require some destruction of the house. Any ideas on what the right approach would be. Thanks.

Cool Fp reline

High aspect/ ration rectilinear liners are sized at 8:1; Low aspect/ ration, meaning 2:1 or less at 10:1; round at 12:1; Rumford at 20:1.

If you want heat, don't look to an open Fp. If you want a Fp that throws a little radiant heat while its sucking several hundred CFM up the stack, Rumfordize it. At an opening of 30x30, you should be able to vent it with an 8" round insulated listed liner to a Rumford throat. To find a Rumford mason near you go to http://www.rumford.com

the 25ft. ht is about min. assuming it meets the code for above roof: 3ft min plus 2ft above anypoint within 10 ft.

Also, you'll want to make sure it is above the top of the thermal envelope of the house. Go to http://www.hpba.org and check out their 6 rules of good vent design for fps.

HTH

No code issues with the height or proximity to any object on the roof. If the liner is low aspect at 10:1- can I vent a 30 width x 19 depth firebox through a 6 x 10 rectangular liner if the chimney is 25 feet tall? I don't want do major masonry or reconstructive work. All I want is a safe fireplace that vent properly for the 5-10 times I may use it all year.

Question

The ratio is to the Fp opening width and height--not depth. How tall?

Height is 23 inches at fireplace opening or 27 inches to the bottom of the damper. Also the width was measured at the front but it slopes inward considerably as you move towards the back of the firebox. It is 31 inches at the front of the box but slopes to only 26 at the back of the box. If I measure the width directly where you would burn wood it is 27 inches.

I have had three people look at it and three different conclusions.

1 - Can't ever use the fireplace again because you can't fit a large enough circular liner in the flue and rect. or oval don't work. Either rebrick the whole thing or your out of luck.
    2 - Use 6x10 inch as that is what they make rectangular liners for. Based on firebox and chimney size 6x10 would work fine.
    3 - Use 8 inch oval liner and open up smoke chamber to facilitate venting.

Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.