New Lennox system

Hello, I have a question regarding a new Lennox split system
    system info:
    Condensor:XC21-048-230-08
    Furnace:SL280UH090V60C-03
    Coil:CH33-50/60C-2P-3

Do these components match?
    I believe the condensor is 4ton and the coil is 5ton

I think the system is oversized due to short run times even when OAT is near 100^. Manual J suggested 3.79ton
    This is a 1650sf type five construction single story residence built in 1996 in Tucson, AZ
    Insulation in the attic is not great, double pane windows are in ok shape.

All ductowrk is flex, 20 inch return trunk, 20x30 return grill

thank you for your feedback

Post Likes
    If manual J was done right and suggested a 3.79 ton then your 4 ton system is fine. I usually don't oversize coils, but I know some do to get higher efficiency. So the coil should be fine.

Is the unit running for at least 15 minutes? How is the temperature in the house? Does it feel comfortable or humid?
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    I would have went with 3.5 tons, man j input numbers are a lot of times educated guesses and most err on the overkill side.

Post Likes
    good match, 49,000 btu's and around 17.50 seer.

with load calc you gave it is sized properly, make sure it is wired and set up properly so it is going into low stage. also make sure blower settings were adjusted for the 4 ton unit and not left on the 5 ton factory settings.

Post Likes
    Didn't realize it was 2 stage, make sure it is wired for 2 stage, lots of guys don't because they don't want to pull a new wire

Post Likes
    I can see in the diagnostics on the Icomfort that it does operate a lot of the time at 70% on the condensor, which is low stage.
    Temp in the house feels ok, Rh @ around 35-38% per the stat.

What should the CFM settings be for a 4ton. Manual J stated house CFM needed was around 1400 as I read it.

Post Likes
    1400-1600 cfm for 4 tons

Post Likes
    Ok, first stage is set for 1000 CFM and second stage is set for 1500 CFM.
    It seems to do most of its work in first stage, day and night but it definitely doesn't run for fifteen or twenty minutes unless it's really hot outside, like over 100 degrees.
    Also, when the condensor kicks on it makes my lights dim slightly. Just ever so slightly. HVAC company didn't think it was a big deal. Old unit never did it but it was smaller and much older technology. I understand all mechanical devices are different.

Post Likes
    have you verified the information used to figure the manual j?

numbers may have been fudged to fit the unit....

Post Likes
    Old unit was a smaller tonnage? Or just physically smaller?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireferg73 View Post
    Ok, first stage is set for 1000 CFM and second stage is set for 1500 CFM.
    It seems to do most of its work in first stage, day and night but it definitely doesn't run for fifteen or twenty minutes unless it's really hot outside, like over 100 degrees.
    Also, when the condensor kicks on it makes my lights dim slightly. Just ever so slightly. HVAC company didn't think it was a big deal. Old unit never did it but it was smaller and much older technology. I understand all mechanical devices are different.
    Sounds like it is grossly oversized and even the first stage capacity is way oversized, good thing you live a dry climate or humidity would be a big issue for you in the summer.

Post Likes
    Old unit was 3.5tons, single stage Rheem 10 Seer coupled with a single speed furnace.
    And yes, I agree I need to confirm the J calculations.

Post Likes
    First stage has a capacity between 2.8 and 3.2 tons. So in first stage, its almost as much capacity as your old unit. Its probably the VS blower that can move the air better then your old blower could, that helps it to cool your house better in first stage then your single stage 3.5 ton could.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    1400-1600 cfm for 4 tons
    Arizona _ 1800 + _ CFM .. 4 ton

BUT, how does the ALL FLEX duct work perform?

Is CPH (cycles [counts] per hour) set to 2?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    No CPH choice in stat that I can see. It has something that says heat/cooling stages locked in but that is all I can see. This is an I comfort stat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireferg73 View Post
    No CPH choice in stat that I can see. It has something that says heat/cooling stages locked in but that is all I can see. This is an I comfort stat.
    http://www.comfortstatusa.com/CS_TouchScreen.asp

Model # ? CDT 900, page 51 of the manual CPH
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    That's not an icomfort dan. The icomfort is a Lennox communicating stat.

Post Likes
    Very true, this is a Lennox IComfort communicating stat.
    One thing the installer did was raise the stat differential up one degree because he stated that it was off a little in reading the house temperature which he verified with a probe type sensor plugged into a device that looked like a multimeter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    That's not an icomfort dan. The icomfort is a Lennox communicating stat.
    http://www.lennox.com/icomfortwifi/

Ohh I see, the 1 that you don't know whether the t'stat or the homeowner is DaBoss.

Post Likes
    Wow, I have just installed the same system in my home and have been trolling the internet for an answer as to why it cycles so many times per hour. I can't find any setting on the icomfort wifi to control this as well. I would say your system is over sized for your home, but that isn't the cause because it does the same thing in larger, older, and less insulated homes.

Since my home is wired to a solar PEV system I can monitor the cycles very accurately, and it is a huge difference from my old a/c which was a 3.5 ton 10 seer goodman with a 4 ton coil, which was too small for the home on hot days, so putting in a 4 ton system is not overkill in my 2000 sq ft home. Yet I am fighting the cycle wars already.

I can say the A/C is much more efficient than my old system as it never seems to get out of the 1st stage, but the short cycles and 1st stage makes it way to humid, was 61% until I tweaked the thermostat now it is 55%, but I still can't make the system act normal and not cycle too many times.

For example the system cycled 5 times from 7pm to 8pm tonight, yet it a relatively cool day, barely warm enough to run the A/C, my old system would have only ran once or less for this temp. I really don't know a fix, I am having the installers return on Monday, but doubt they have a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in