+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell Bacnet Spyder information HELP!

Post Likes

Honeywell Bacnet Spyder information HELP!

Hello All,

I'm trying to bring the Honeywell Spyder into a Niagara AX and the problem I'm having is that once I discover the controller and bring it into the AX I can't get any further with it( Ex. programming, configuring it). I have the Venom .jar files but I really need some information on the controller itself. I have not had the training class on the Spyder so I have no manual or information on the Bacnet version. I have the Lon manual and it really doesn't help with the bacnet Spyder. Any help with the above issue or if anyone is willing to share some bacnet manual on the Spyder would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    If you have'nt had any training or experience with the Spyder then your in for an uphill climb. Are you trying to discover an existing spyder and add it to the system? you say you have the venom jar, do you have the spyder tool?
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Thanks for responding T-Ranger...I have a spyder with a test honeywell ax that I have in a demo panel. Yes I have the spyder tool but it seems to be more for Lon not Bacnet. I know that the class is the best way to go but I like to play with controllers because I feel I can learn more than in a classroom environment. Is it really hard to learn if you don't take the class??

Post Likes
    Is there not a jar file for LON and for BACnet or is that just in the Venom (I think)?
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Looks like it is just in the Venom.

Post Likes
    If you are using the latest spyder tool you have to put the controller in engineering mode to access the control program.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaforce View Post
    Thanks for responding T-Ranger...I have a spyder with a test honeywell ax that I have in a demo panel. Yes I have the spyder tool but it seems to be more for Lon not Bacnet. I know that the class is the best way to go but I like to play with controllers because I feel I can learn more than in a classroom environment. Is it really hard to learn if you don't take the class??
    There is a picture that depicts the learning curve associated with the Spyder, but I can't find it at the moment. Im sure Digo can post it. But to answer your question, it is not going to be real easy to learn very quickly. I started messing with the Spyder when it first came out before having training and it took some time to get proficient with it.

What version of the tool are do you currently have loaded?
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Perhaps this will help to depict the learning curve ahead of you?

Name:  SpyderLearnCurve.jpg
Views: 8942
Size:  51.9 KB

Post Likes
    Ah yes, that is the one I was referring to.
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lwarren View Post
    Ah yes, that is the one I was referring to.
    I have version 3.6.31 and WOW what a curve!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Perhaps this will help to depict the learning curve ahead of you?

Name:  SpyderLearnCurve.jpg
Views: 8942
Size:  51.9 KB
    Spyders are awesome controllers. Don't appreciate the attempted humor with the product bashing. Its unprofessional and mean.

12. Likes PeterR255 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wherzamizat View Post
    Spyders are awesome controllers. Don't appreciate the attempted humor with the product bashing. Its unprofessional and mean.
    Easy there man. I don't see where anyone said there weren't. What was said is that you don't just pick one up and plug it in. There is quite a bit of learning to get the hang of them.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes

Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Easy there man. I don't see where anyone said there weren't. What was said is that you don't just pick one up and plug it in. There is quite a bit of learning to get the hang of them.
    The Spyder Tool has a lot of problems. I thought the old systems I worked on were bad. Honeywell is not providing the required resources to this product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldman View Post
    The Spyder Tool has a lot of problems. I thought the old systems I worked on were bad. Honeywell is not providing the required resources to this product.
    Don't get me/others started on the lack of resources here....

Post Likes
    If your using 3.6 then you should be using the latest spyder tool and you have to put controller in engineering mode to do anything with it. Right click controller and pick engineering mode. There is a good webcast on Buildings Forum on the new spyder tool.

Post Likes

Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by mechmike2 View Post
    If your using 3.6 then you should be using the latest spyder tool and you have to put controller in engineering mode to do anything with it. Right click controller and pick engineering mode. There is a good webcast on Buildings Forum on the new spyder tool.
    When I read the release notes for the latest Spyder Tool version I seriously considered changing jobs to get away from this product.

Post Likes

Spyder

Also take care to know which Rev controller you have, look for a side ways 2 on the sticker next to the part number on the side. If this is there then you may need to flash it back to work with your spyder tool. You will be able to commission it just not load it. I am an old BC network 8000 guy and love the spyders. I don't care what line you work with, there is always room for improvements but the spyders have worked solid for me and the company I work for. I took the class and it shortened the learning curve considerably for me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wherzamizat View Post
    Easy there buddy, that image helped shape what the spyderTool is today. Yes the hardware awesome, but the software took a little while to get there...

Which one of these versions have you had the joy of dealing with?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    Easy there buddy, that image helped shape what the spyderTool is today. Yes the hardware awesome, but the software took a little while to get there...

Which one of these versions have you had the joy of dealing with?
    There is a new one coming out in a couple weeks FYI. 5.204

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to try the Webcast that you suggested mechmike2.

Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in