+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manual J is wrong for the 1st time???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Manual J is wrong for the 1st time???

As my post stated, I have ran across a manual j that is showing me the wrong size system for the 1st time. I know what you are thinking the input details have to be wrong but I have triple checked them.

Now let me explain. I have a customer with a 1800 square foot home that was built in the 50's which is rasied frame home with no insulation in attic or the floor. The walls are more then likely not insulated as well. The house can't be much tighter then average.

He has been running a 4 ton system in the home for 10 plus years with no problem keeping it 72 on a 95 degree day. Some more info on the home has a good bit of windows all single wood with metal storms on them.

My load came out to be 6.5 tons of air needed to cool the home due to no insulation but this man home has done fine for years with his existing (4) ton system as we have been doing all his work for the past 5 years.

Other notes the system is even mismatched using a goodman a/c unit with a tempstar coil. The system has done the job. So Made a call to install another (4) ton system rated at 48,000 btus and we have installed it and per customer it is doing good. The duct system would only handle a 4 tons of air anyways along with returning it.

Has anyone one else ever had this happen to them where rule of thumb has worked for them over manual j? I hate even saying that as I belive strongly in manual j but this time it was wrong! Any input to help me understand this would be great...

Post Likes
    Yeah, I have gotten some comments from contractors and architects that load calculation numbers have been over estimated at times. I assume there are just factors that aren't accounted for... like shading from adjacent buildings, trees, or just curtains.

Heck, maybe the asbestos material in the plaster give added insulation properties IDK... If the house is on a slab, then there are thermal mass properties... and there is a factor of safety in all the equations. If the 4 ton system works, then go with the 4 ton. 6.5 tons will be 2 systems in residential anyways.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    Sorry to hijack but why is there a house anywhere in the US with no insulation?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    here in South Louisiana we have lots of old homes with no insulation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Alot of houses, actually.

Infact, I used to do renovations that had no insulation in them, because they had no wood frame walls. Old turn of the century brick buildings. exposed brick on everything.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Alot of houses, actually.

Infact, I used to do renovations that had no insulation in them, because they had no wood frame walls. Old turn of the century brick buildings. exposed brick on everything.
    The thermal storage of brick is NOT accounted for in manual J !!
    Cool the house off at night and the thermal storage can carry it though a lot of the day.

Post Likes
    Why not do a 3 ton and insulate the attic? Please tell me he's not going to install over 13SEER w/o installing insulation..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    here in South Louisiana we have lots of old homes with no
    insulation.
    Yes i am in Northeast Louisiana. I would say 1 out of 50 homes that I go
    To have no insulation or only about 3 inchs of blown or worse batts.

He will be insulating in the next few months but I never go by what is there now because most of the time people don't always say what they will due...

(4) ton already installed and working great. It almost makes you wonder why not do rules of thumb? I hate to say that but look at this home and it is prime example. I just typing out loud.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post

He will be insulating in the next few months but I never go by what is there now because most of the time people don't always say what they will due...

(4) ton already installed and working great. It almost makes you wonder why not do rules of thumb? I hate to say that but look at this home and it is prime example. I just typing out loud.
    He'll do it once it gets hot/cold in there...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post

If you would like, I can run the load and see what I come up with. I use Wrightsoft. Just send me all the information about the house.

Post Likes
    What insulation value did you use for the walls, floor and attic.

still a lot of stone built houses here, no insulation on walls, a little bit in attic.

Post Likes
    I just sold a system to my friend with a similar house...built in 50's with the returns on the outside wall and supplies on inside wall...minimal insulation,
    1200 sq ft on first floor with (6) 6" heat runs and a 600 sq ft loft with (2) 6" runs.

My supplier and I came up with about 2.5 Tons with about 72,000 btu heating ( we are talking Buffalo so we have to have a good heat load).

I will be reducing the bathroom to 4" and upping the 2nd floor to 7" runs.

4 tons sounds like a a lot for a 1800 sq ft house unless your in an area with a large year round cooling load. you would have to have about (16) 6" runs to accomodate that CFM capacity with a 10x24 trunk line coming off the furnace...thats huge for that house.

am I missing something?
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Post Likes
    Can you post all of the general inputs. I would like to run them on Carmelsoft and HVAC Buddy Load Calc.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I don't like using always or never, but you could say manual j ALMOST always oversizes.

4 tons on 1800 sf. Ooof. They don't mind the energy bills?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by texahoma View Post
    If you would like, I can run the load and see what I come up with. I use Wrightsoft. Just send me all the information about the house.
    What is your email? I will be glad to send you all the info. On the home.

Thanks

Post Likes
    pls send the file to me also. email is in my profile. I use wrightsoft. Don't forget home orientation.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    The thermal storage of brick is NOT accounted for in manual J !!
    Cool the house off at night and the thermal storage can carry it though a lot of the day.
    +1. Also, did you include the air gap in the wall? A 4in. Air gap I think mis at least r2. Alos if its 1950,s. It,s probablynplastern walls which have lots of mass.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in