+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who else hates warranty work?

Post Likes

who else hates warranty work?

i sold a customer a ice machine about 9 months ago, his place is 127 miles away...one way.
    he called a couple weeks ago to say its not working, it had a water code, so i cleaned the system, cleared the codes
    and came back home, billed him for the cleaning...he calls a few days later, same thing..i return, call the manufacture
    and we go through the codes, dude tells me to change the dump valve and flash the computer for updates...i return with the
    flash drive, clear the codes.

i call the service dude and ask him what he can do about mileage 478 miles, 7 hours of drive time and the time to change
    out the part and update the computer..he says $110.00...........he says bill the customer for the rest.....i dont!

so now today 10 days later i get the call..not making ice............

im not liking warranty work...

Post Likes
    Does changing a condensor in 3 hours installed right ( level, vacumm, ect.) Sound good? Pia but possible.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    let me guess a mani yi series

Post Likes
    yep....

Post Likes
    Major pain all I did was a cleaning and a nightmare ever since and its not our fault but we have to take it in the ...
    It makes us look bad

Post Likes
    ive installed 4 of these and replaced 2 dumpvalves....i didnt get paid anything from mani on the 1st one, just replaced MY valve..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leaker2 View Post
    Does changing a condensor in 3 hours installed right ( level, vacumm, ect.) Sound good? Pia but possible.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

We changed 3 warranty cond. units. on the same system. Customer pissed from downtime which looks bad on the company. Like we built the darn thing or made the tube sheet leak. The good thing is the manufacturer gave a few hours for of labor. Gee thanks manufacturer guess well take care of the other hours, other two guys and crane rental, but please keep building frustratingly crappy unreliable equipment while we try to keep customers happy.

Post Likes
    I have had the same thing happen. Tech support explained that to check the date code on the valve. That they were having problems with a batch of valves leaking by. The firmware update corrected the programing on the board. The org. software would average the last three ice making cycles. If the the valve leaked by the IM would make block ice and eventually lock out. The firmware update locked in stone the length of the ice making cycle and harvest in the event of a dump valve failure.

I will have to check my old invoices and I'll see what date code it was.

Post Likes
    yes he had me check the date code as well..hmmmm and i get to do this for free...

Post Likes
    Yeah, there aint no money in ice machines!!!! Tell your customer to clear the codes themselves and call ya if it don't make ice!!!

Post Likes
    I hate to read about things like this. Call Manitowoc back with the serial number and ask for Jonathan.
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Post Likes
    Not so happy with Manitowoc right now. They give very little allowable time to do warranty repairs, and the whole process is long and drawn out.

It's especially bad when we get to do the warranty work on a machine someone else installed.

I think it's to the point where we warn the customer upfront that any labor the manufacturer doesn't cover on our bill, is going to be billed to them.

Post Likes
    know what i did once..a business sent me to do some warranty work on a ice machine (wasnt the manufacture) i did it and got screwed..they called me again to go somewhere else..this time i billed the customer and told him to bill said company..he did and they called me *****ing and moaning..saying i cant do that..i said i did and i got paid...they didnt call me anymore..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    know what i did once..a business sent me to do some warranty work on a ice machine (wasnt the manufacture) i did it and got screwed..they called me again to go somewhere else..this time i billed the customer and told him to bill said company..he did and they called me *****ing and moaning..saying i cant do that..i said i did and i got paid...they didnt call me anymore..
    Thats the only way i do third party warranty work now, their customer pays cash on site or no fixy.

Been caught too many times. I film and photo me working too so there is no arguement that i wasn't there etc etc.

Post Likes
    Are they having issue with the new ones?

Just sold costomer indigo 1800 remote
    Installing it next week
    What are the issues?

Post Likes
    shaka, seems the dump valves have issues, and ive reflashed the computer along with replacing a water pump on one thats less than a yer old..

Post Likes
    Dump valve leaking by or not flushing out?
    What's wrong with the board?
    Why do you need to flash it

I got my long coat, dark shade and ill make sure ill flash it. LOL
    sorry I couldn't resist

Post Likes
    the 1st IY i worked on, i replaced the dump valve per the factory...i got a replacement valve and no $ for my time.travel..
    the 2nd IY i replaced the dump valve again per the factory ( said it was among a batch that want any good), they also suggested i flash the computer which i did..they said for the 500 miles i traveled, the 7 hours of drive time + the diagnose time, they would pay me $110......since then that same machine has a locked up water pump.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    the 1st IY i worked on, i replaced the dump valve per the factory...i got a replacement valve and no $ for my time.travel..
    the 2nd IY i replaced the dump valve again per the factory ( said it was among a batch that want any good), they also suggested i flash the computer which i did..they said for the 500 miles i traveled, the 7 hours of drive time + the diagnose time, they would pay me $110......since then that same machine has a locked up water pump.....

But why were you changing valve?
    What was it doing

Post Likes
    dump valve was letting water out during frz.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in