Ice machine crash course

Hello guys, I am taking a job with a company that does a lot of ice machine work. I don't have a lot of experience with them but do have some exposure. I know all manufacturers have different problems, but are there some common problems I can expect to see in general? Or if anyone can name some problems that certain makers are notorious for? Any info or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you have all the different service books for each manufacturer. Most problems I see are with the incoming water and dirty units.

Most issues are caused from either dirty machines or water issues. There are no crash courses. Most manufacturers offer some type of classroom training thru their distributors.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Like they said its usually due to being dirty.
    I find most of the problems are electrical.
    Exhaust all possibilities before putting your gauges on a machine.
    Know your sequence of operation. When something is supposed to happen and doesnt there lies your problem.

Be really nice with the guys at your company, it's easier to pick their brains to learn field side of the trade.

Approach every machine with the mindset that it's dirty. If you didn't clean it it's dirty. Be patient. It takes time to service and troubleshoot these things. Don't rush it or it will bite you in the wallet. Get some stub gauges, no hoses, and put them on when you have to not just cause you have them. Get a good watch or stop watch. Get the pocket manuals and use them. Experience is the best teacher so go get some. Good luck. Oh ya this site. There are some great techs on here that will answer questions and get headed the rite direction.

Thanks to all for the replies. I had heard that a lot of problems were due to water supply and good advice about putting guages on as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by roofdude View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies. I had heard that a lot of problems were due to water supply and good advice about putting guages on as a last resort.
    Filth and lack of maintenance is the #1 problem like already mentioned. Can't begin to tell you how many calls I've had where there was zero to little ice production due to it.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with everything so far here, but I don't worry so much about attaching gauges. If you put a ball valve on your high-side hose so you can valve it off then open your manifold to the low side before you disconnect, you won't have any issues there. You still won't have to apply gauges as often as you would think, but if you use a ball valve and pay attention you won't lose a measurable amount of refrigerant, even with 5 foot hoses.

Im kinda new with refrigeration and find ice machines fun once you understand and know the sequence of operations i picked up manitowac tech books from my local supply house every chance i got i read through the book it helped out alot so far the only problems ive ran into were pretty much what everyone stated before about making sure the machine head is clean also with the manitowac the ice thickness probs go bad water curtain magnets go bad once you read and understand how the operations are it will help you out alot i think some of the manufacturers also have stuff you can print out to help you