Lennox XP-14 (is there a similarly priced system I'd be better off looking at?)

I'm going to need to make a decision in the next week or so re: what system I'll be replacing my old York one with. This would be for both heating and air conditioning. I really don't know what to do at this point, as I'm reading bad reviews on various sites for just about every modern system. Has anyone here had good experiences with the XP-14?

BTW, here in Montreal, I can't seem to find anyone that includes labour in their warranty. With the XP-14, I'd be getting 10-years on parts but I would need to spend an additional $ to get 10-years on labour. This is the best I've been able to find. A few other places have quoted me one-year on parts with additional years of parts and labour as an option for purchase (!), which I couldn't believe. Is this the new normal in Canada (or Quebec)?
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-24-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: price

Standard is 1 year labor warranty. If you want more, you generally have to pay for it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We put a ton of xp14's in. Had a couple fan motors fail but 99% have been trouble free.

10 year parts is standard on most residential systems with 10 year labor being an additional fee. I would look into York's LX line of residential products. Good value and great quality and Made in U.S.A. http://m.york.com/#/residential/products/

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-25-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Salesleader, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Make sure whoever you use does a laod calculation. Very, very common to oversize in the north. Esecially in a more temeprature place like Montreal on a lake. A propoerly sized system will have longer run times and run more effciently sicne it doesn't short cycle. The difference can be anywhere from 10-30% more effceint sized properly as well as better humidity control.

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMitch View Post
    BTW, here in Montreal, I can't seem to find anyone that includes labour in their warranty. With the XP-14, I'd be getting 10-years on parts but I would need to spend an additional $ to get 10-years on labour. This is the best I've been able to find. A few other places have quoted me one-year on parts with additional years of parts and labour as an option for purchase (!), which I couldn't believe. Is this the new normal in Canada (or Quebec)?
    This has been the case for many years with Lennox atleast. I don't know hat you're bing quoted for the complete care labour warranty, but here in Alberta it's a VERY good value. Buy it!

Thanks, everyone. I'll be sure to ask for a load calculation to be done. So far, it seems the company is sizing my home's needs based entirely on the capacity of the York unit that is already being used here.

So, the XP14 is a reasonably reliable piece of hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    10 year parts is standard on most residential systems with 10 year labor being an additional fee. I would look into York's LX line of residential products. Good value and great quality and Made in U.S.A. http://m.york.com/#/residential/products/
    You gotta be a bad salesman. The OP is living in Canada, where Lennox is based.

Actually, I'd be happy simply to buy a machine that was built in the US or Canada and not China or Mexico. Hadn't realized that Lennox was based here in Canada!

They're not.
    Lennox headquarters is in Dallas Texas.
    Most of the Canadian furnace companies have been bought up or gone bankrupt