Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Might be able to increase the sizes of the existing return grills and duct

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    I hate to agree with Ryan but after looking at the pictures a little closer, it appears that there is a 16x20x1 air filter in place and it might even be an "allergy free" type filter. The return duct is also cut in one side of the furnace which historically makes for low airflow. Also the indoor coil looks suspiciously small for a 15 seer 3.5 ton. Please post the model numbers of the indoor coil and the Lennox furnace so i can verify the match up. Finally, have the static pressure checked and compared to the blower data. If the blower data isn't available, the furnace model number will clarify. Thanks.
    + another one for airflow problem.

3.5 ton just for downstairs? How big is this house?

Round hole? Not even using 16x20 at filter? Should we start making guesses what the ESP will come back at? How many think >1?

You might want them taking ESP on upstairs unit while they are at it. ecm's tend to burn up when "driven around with the emergency brake on" (high static). Also, when techs test stuff, get the numbers they take and keep them in a file. Keeping these numbers is like tracking cholesterol levels, helpful to track over time, and sometimes useful for holding folks accountable. Just letting them know you'll want those numbers may bring out their A game.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Might be able to increase the sizes of the existing return grills and duct
    I was actually wondering if that could be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    + another one for airflow problem.

3.5 ton just for downstairs? How big is this house?

Round hole? Not even using 16x20 at filter? Should we start making guesses what the ESP will come back at? How many think >1?

You might want them taking ESP on upstairs unit while they are at it. ecm's tend to burn up when "driven around with the emergency brake on" (high static). Also, when techs test stuff, get the numbers they take and keep them in a file. Keeping these numbers is like tracking cholesterol levels, helpful to track over time, and sometimes useful for holding folks accountable. Just letting them know you'll want those numbers may bring out their A game.
    The filter we are using is a 16x25. This house is 5800 sq ft total (including finished basement). The basement is 2200 sq ft, the main level is 2200 sq ft, and the upstairs is 1400 sq ft. That seems like a good idea to have the tech also check the static pressure of our upstairs system. The contractor did measure all of the upstairs ducts to see if they were the right size before the new system was installed. By the way our upstairs system is a 2 ton and the basement system is a 1.5 ton.

Sounds like a heck of place!

3.5 tons for 2200 sf, with conditioned space above and below, sigh.

They grossly oversize the equipment, then tell you your duct doesnt match the equipment!?

Want me to pistol whip them for you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Sounds like a heck of place!

3.5 tons for 2200 sf, with conditioned space above and below, sigh.

They grossly oversize the equipment, then tell you your duct doesnt match the equipment!?

Want me to pistol whip them for you?
    Well you can pistol whip the original installers of the original systems when the house was built 10 years ago! Our basement system barely runs, though, because we hardly spend time down there. The main level always feels nice and the XR15 never short cycles in cooling mode. One other thing about our basement is that three of the rooms down there have 7 ft ceilings (the rest of the basement 8 ft ceilings).

Dont get me started on builder specs!!

No short cycles? Hmmm. Ever run continuous?

22 under 14, hmmm fair amount of attic over 1st floor?

No short cycles? Hmmm.

22 under 14, hmmm fair amount of attic over 1st floor?
    The only area of attic above first floor is above the living room. The living room has 18 ft ceilings. Also above the kitchen keeping room and the office there's some attic space. No, the system never runs continuous.

How many minutes would be considered "short cycling"?

Get a lot of opinions on that. I'd go to udarrell, teddybear or one of the mods forahighconfidence answer. My opinion, less than 20 minutes.

Get a lot of opinions on that. I'd go to udarrell, teddybear or one of the mods forahighconfidence answer. My opinion, less than 20 minutes.
    Oh gosh! Our systems never run that long unless it's above 92*F outside! (mainly our upstairs system) If it's that hot outside, than it does run longer than that.

I'm concerned!

Take asleep breath, it's all fixable.

Smaller units w/b ideal.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast