Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    And also, this is not the same company who installed the unit. The company who installed the unit are not very good in my opinion because they screwed something up with the A/C circuit breaker.

It should be able to operate in heat at ~60F with no problem, I'm gonna say its overcharged IMO

You say the compressor was repeatedly cycling on/off when the technician was there? How could he have verified the charge without the unit running long enough to stabilize? I've run my system in heat mode for a brief period of time when it was warmer out (in the 70's at least) to test humidifier operation, and the compressor doesn't repeatedly cut out (Trane XL20i). I also think if it's happening at 60 deg out something is wrong.

It's 63F outside and 74 inside at my house right now and I know I could run my heat pump right now with no problems except I would start sweating

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    You say the compressor was repeatedly cycling on/off when the technician was there? How could he have verified the charge without the unit running long enough to stabilize? I've run my system for a brief period of time when it was warmer out (in the 70's at least) to test humidifier operation, and the compressor doesn't repeatedly cut out (Trane XL20i). I also think if it's happening at 60 deg out something is wrong.
    Yeah it was. I do think that he should have waited a few minutes longer when the unit was running to check the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It's 63F outside and 74 inside at my house right now and I know I could run my heat pump right now with no problems except I would start sweating
    Well at the time he was checking the unit it was 73*F outside. I might need to call back and see if they can send a different tech out or just call the original company who installed the unit. It was also raining outside at the same time, which that won't effect anything I think.

I will have to agree that the unit could be overcharged, so obviously there must be something that he forgot to check.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    He did hook his gauges up, and checked. I also think that the unit is a little overcharged.
    Start by finding a technician that will verify that the unit is truly moving the correct amount of air, then focus on getting the charge correct. This means testing ESP (external static pressure) and comparing it against the blower chart to determine actual CFM. If there was never enough airflow when the outdoor unit was installed, it is not surprising that they had to add (too much) refrigerant to get the pressures up, and the issue didn't show up until you switched to heat and the head pressure was very high.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Start by finding a technician that will verify that the unit is truly moving the correct amount of air, then focus on getting the charge correct. This means testing ESP (external static pressure) and comparing it against the blower chart to determine actual CFM. If there was never enough airflow when the outdoor unit was installed, it is not surprising that they had to add (too much) refrigerant to get the pressures up, and the issue didn't show up until you switched to heat and the head pressure was very high.
    Ok thanks! I will look into that as soon as I can. I think I just remembered that the head pressure was kinda high according to what the tech said.

Anyways Thanks for your replies. I will call another company tomorrow and see if they can inspect the system FULLY.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

I will! Thanks

I hate to agree with Ryan but after looking at the pictures a little closer, it appears that there is a 16x20x1 air filter in place and it might even be an "allergy free" type filter. The return duct is also cut in one side of the furnace which historically makes for low airflow. Also the indoor coil looks suspiciously small for a 15 seer 3.5 ton. Please post the model numbers of the indoor coil and the Lennox furnace so i can verify the match up. Finally, have the static pressure checked and compared to the blower data. If the blower data isn't available, the furnace model number will clarify. Thanks.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast