Post Likes

One zone only runs when other zone running?

I received such great advice on my first problem I decided to ask about my second.

I have a 4600 sf house running off two a/c's and furnaces - one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

The upstairs has two zones (at least I think that is what it means when you have two thermostats?) and presumably a damper in the attic (again?).

In my experience, the a/c (and perhaps heat but certainly a/c) only runs for the play-room over the garage zone when the main zone (master bedroom) is triggered and running.

I hope I have defined the issue accurately. How would a tech investigate a problem like this - do they have to go up to the attic?

Thanks for advice or questions!!

Rick

Post Likes
    May be wired/set up as a slave zone that can only work when the other zone is calling.

A 2 zoned system would have at least 2 dampers. 1 for each zone.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Thanks been there, would be some reason to do that? I'm not sure why that would be good.

Is it possible it is just a damper problem? (I'm totally shooting in the dark.)

Post Likes
    Done sometimes to make sure a zone that is too small doesn't harm the furnace.

Not a damper problem, since it does work. more of a setup problem, wiring problem, or as said earlier, its set to be a slave zone.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Ah! The too small thought makes sense. It is a pretty big room and bathroom but doesn't have its own return. A contractor offered to add a return but its not really a comfort problem - was just pointed out by home inspector and been bugging me since. Thank you!

Post Likes
    I'm curious if it even has a zone control.
    The thermostat for the bonus room may only open and close a damper for the duct(s) to the room.

Screwy way to do it, but it sometimes gets done that way because it is cheap.

Post Likes