+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hvac 2nd shift position?

Post Likes

Wink

i know it my sound absurd to the average person; but has anyone ever heard of or considered starting late and working late. as a single 26 y/o living in los angeles, i would find these hours more desirable because of my fascination with the night life and music industry. sometimes going to sleep at two or three and waking up the same morning is always work savy. i'm a responsible and dedicated person both in and out of the field but also love to live. what about the customer's advantage (residential) of having an afterhours tech at regular price?

Post Likes
    stay in michigan i dont want them hours before you know it you will be asked to take all of the on call into the wee hours of the morning start your own business if you desire better hours.............

danny x Guest
    As a technician I at one time had that shift. I did not ask for those hours however my employer at the time set those hours for me to save on overtime costs (the increased call volume after 5 P.M. Now as an owner, I see the advantage of staging technicians’ shifts but think its unlikely most techs would be happy with that shift. They would feel they are working late without the “reward”, at least that’s how I felt.

Now when I worked at Slomins(a rather large oil heating company), one week out of 5 in the winter was 3 PM till 3 AM, and it was call after call till the end of the shift. Most times the shift would start with 2 Vacs. I didn’t last long there.

Anyhow, an employer in your area would most likely welcome that shift to cover the increased call volume after 5, although most techs might not appreciate you giving the boss that idea.

Dan

Post Likes
    if a co-worker suggested that 2nd shift crap to my boss i'd bleed him,real quiet and leave him in the trash dumpster
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Post Likes
    I was in your spot michigan1. I'm now 31, but from 23 to 27 I worked either 1000-1830 or any combo like that. Of course at that time I was in-house at a mfg plant, they loved it. And I of course partied til 3 or 4 so I loved it.
    Now in commercial/supermarket service we have a couple guys that start earlier or later than required. Us regular guys like it because they pick up those late calls while we finish up the day.
    Bring it up, what do you have to lose? (besides 1972torino stringing you up)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in