Freezestat installation best practices?

How should a freezestat be mounted?

I've always been taught that it should be mounted with the capillary coming out from the bottom of the device as in fig. A and being the highest point of the capillary. Then snaking in a low slope downward across the coil.

Is there anyone negative effects if it is mounted as in in fig. B?
    Or if the device is lower than the capillary?
    Some documentation where it spells it out would be helpful for convincing the installers. Thanks!

Name:  freeze.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  21.6 KB

I never heard or read anything in reguards to having to mount the cap down or the case has to be the highest point.

A common control is a L480G1044. It states in there literature......"The controller can be mounted horizontally or
    vertically on a wall or panel, or directly on the
    compressor case."

As far as the case being the highest point......I can't see a reason, why that would make a difference.

Maybe a better question would be.....Should i string the freezestat bulb horizontally with vertical bends...or Vertically with horizontal bends.,....
    Ive seen folks question the method of installation ..i would be interested in some feedback myself.....

I have installed 100's of freezstats.... vertical or horizontal does'nt matter. only thing that caught my eye was "bends". make these are big wide bends.

I too dont think it matters its all about the pressure in the capillary. wide bends worth it to get capillary clips

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    I never heard or read anything in reguards to having to mount the cap down or the case has to be the highest point.

A common control is a L480G1044. It states in there literature......"The controller can be mounted horizontally or
    vertically on a wall or panel, or directly on the
    compressor case."

As far as the case being the highest point......I can't see a reason, why that would make a difference.
    So the picture you show looks like its from the Siemens line. Maybe a 134-1511.

Here is a few lines from the install guide that comes with that. Most people do not realize that you want as much of the bulb as possible in a horizontal plane.

Mounting and Installation
    General Guidelines
    Locate the sensing element in the downstream side of the coil.
    Locate the case and bellows where the ambient temperature is always warmer than the set point.
    Install the thermostat case so that the reset button is readily accessible and the element bellows point down.
    Avoid sharp bends or kinks in the sensing element.
    Install as much of the bulb as possible in a horizontal plane. If too much of the bulb is vertical, it will not operate properly.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CB_Matt View Post
    So the picture you show looks like its from the Siemens line. Maybe a 134-1511.

Here is a few lines from the install guide that comes with that. Most people do not realize that you want as much of the bulb as possible in a horizontal plane.

Mounting and Installation
    General Guidelines
    • Locate the sensing element in the downstream side of the coil.
    • Locate the case and bellows where the ambient temperature is always warmer than the set point.
    • Install the thermostat case so that the reset button is readily accessible and the element bellows point down.
    • Avoid sharp bends or kinks in the sensing element.
    • Install as much of the bulb as possible in a horizontal plane. If too much of the bulb is vertical, it will not operate properly.

Matt
    I would have to agree with this as it "could" form a slug of liquid that would have to overcome a higher pressure thus maybe a few degrees off in the final trip point. Honestly no clue here, but I do try to go horizontal for no other reason.

I also think that they are not a highly calibrated device(s) and set them accordingly, meaning I trust my 10K sensors more than theirs, yet still provide the hardwired interlock(s) and I test and set their trip point to what I see.