Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Lusker
    Yeah, this is HVAC talk. But it's not fireplace talk or political talk either. There are many here that are cross trained in commercial food service equipment.

Would an Appliance/Cooking Equipment forum work here? Maybe one called Food Service Equipment?? If so, it should be a Pro only forum due to its content.

The idea was tossed around a while back. What is your opinion?

Sounds like a good idea BUT at some point in time a couple things should be combined. Like wall of shame and pride.

It could get combined with refrigeration.If I work on their cooler most certainly they will want me for the ice machine,reach ins,fryers,ovens,steam tables,etc.Hell I even put a new motor in for a central vacuum unit at country kitchen!lol

[Edited by markwolf on 10-06-2006 at 12:51 AM]
    Take your time & do it right!

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Call it commercial food service. Keep it open access, lots of guys doing food service who don't do hvac.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

James, the only problem with your suggestion is that some won't be able to tell the difference if you DON'T keep them separate. lol.

Lusker: GREAT idea! Admittedly, there are forums here that I very rarely visit simply because they are outside my circle of influence and expertise.

Having said that, the food service industry is one that is intrinsically intertwined with our own. Make up air units, 100% outside air units, exhaust hoods, etc. There is no earthly reason not to have this as a separate forum, and I think it is an excellent idea. That way, someone doesn't have to go on a fishing expedition to get that type of information and we can keep the 'grease hood' questions and observations apart from the 'controls' posts.

All the best, John.

my response to James above, is in regard to his wanting to combine the walls of shame and pride.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

If we combine any two existing forums we have to preform a "mass move". I am not sure if the site is up to that and... if I tried it and it all crashed then "The Ohio Hammer" (the editor) will have me for breakfast.

We have a lot of forums on the main board now. Most all of these forums are open to the public. If we put one more on the board it really shouldn't matter except... Should we make it an open or closed forum?

Most of you know we now have a membership committee that review all new applicants before issuing Professional status. There are two categories, Pro Tech and Pro B&M. So far they have been doing a great job of weeding out who should be here and not.

Should we make the Food Service forum closed to the public?

How about a left wing forum and a right wing forum.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

There is an old saying... "know more, do more, bill more"
    __________________________________________________ ________________

That says it all. I don't like the hot side, but I have worked on hot dog rollers, pizza ovens, convects, etc. You should always try to say "I'll take care of that" to a valued commercial customer.

I agree, YES!

Well... I told the "Hammer" a few minutes ago. If he doesn't like this idea he will contact me.

Until then we can use it simply to test it out. I really don't expect too much on this forum but again I thought most everyone would say NO

i'm glad to see this, half of my work is cooking equipment .

I think this section is a good idea and I think it will be of great benefit to many. I know I could have used this many years ago when I worked for a fairly large hotel as a lead tech and got thrown into the kitchen,pool,spa and laundry equipment work. The local Ecolab and Wasco people were always very helpful.

Originally posted by Trublshter
    I think this section is a good idea and I think it will be of great benefit to many. I know I could have used this many years ago when I worked for a fairly large hotel as a lead tech and got thrown into the kitchen,pool,spa and laundry equipment work. The local Ecolab and Wasco people were always very helpful.

Soon this may be locked to all except Pro Members. It will really depend on how this forum is used. You should hit this link and send in your info.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=116113

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast