+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk-in freezer Fans wtf.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jpsmith1cm;14249761]Simple test.

BEFORE you touch the timer wheel, take a sharpie and mark the inner wheel of the timer inline with the time arrow.

Wait 5 minutes.

This is the first thing I do now as well.... That 5 minutes feels like 30 waiting to see if it moves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    This is the first thing I do now as well.... That 5 minutes feels like 30 waiting to see if it moves.
    not if you then take a few minutes, close off the king valve and pump the unit down to start to defrost it....
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-23-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    not if you then take a few minutes, close off the king valve and pump the unit down to start to defrost it....
    Lol, I do this too but it still seems like time goes extra slow waiting around for the clock to move or not move...

Post Likes
    I agree with cj walker....check the defrost initiate/terminate stat..

Post Likes
    I concur w/cjpwalker. Sounds like a bad defrost ini/ter. control. grabbit an growl!

Post Likes
    oops, takin this new drug called DAMMITOL!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post

Skipping defrost coupled with strange fan behavior sounds more like a defrost terminator/fan delay switch problem to me. The epoxy seal on those breaks down over time and they fill with water.
    Yea I've witnessed very odd voltages when water gets in switches. You will get like 98 volts or 66 or somewhere inbetween , and the fan runs slow

and like said above .... the case might just shock the hell outta you

Post Likes
    Yup, any time I see an iced evaporator, first thing I do is mark the clock. Then continue with preliminary inspection and gathering model/serial info.

I've definitely seen dtfd's cause the defrost timer issue as previously described. It terminates the instant it starts, so to speak.

But, for what it's worth, I've seen fan behavior just like this which was caused by residual ice in the core of the evaporator, which blocked air flow through the coil and so the only other place for the air to travel through was through the "weaker" fan, fighting against it. (Note that weaker doesn't necessarily mean a defective fan, but in this scenario, one of them will dominate the other.) Pull the blade assembly off of the slower fan and see if the motor comes up to speed. And get a -bright- lite and make sure that coil is clear all the way through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in