high head pressure - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is a copy of Standard ratings for this compressor.
    Is that an air cooled condenser that you have and is it located above the the chiller barrel.
    Have you considered calculating your total heat load and verified that the condenser is properly sized for your application. How about the piping arrangement. Are there suction risers in place and possibly double discharge risers. Have you considered velocity of piping and is it sized correctly.

Standard Rating Spec.pdf

Troubleshooting is not part of the repair................understand the symptoms and you will find a solution.

began tear down Monday, looking for oil in system. found weep hole in accumulator restricted and most of it was there. found wear on wrist pins for pistons 6,7,and 8. i did take oil and refrigerant samples and expect results in 10 days. All the piston heads showed heat damage but valves and rings are reusable. the company that supplied the compressor is doing repairs and i will be assisting. I also cut open inlet of sub-cooler and it is resticted at the inlet screen. seems a lot of problems with this system have been ignored for a while. I believe that past repairs were cunducted with out using nitrogen while brazing, or a liquid dryer core may have disintergated and was never addressed. I have 10 days to get system cleaned up and back in service. looks like i will be busy. thanks again. when i can i hope to up date you on preformance.

[system has been on line for a week now. the compressor was rebuilt to 5h86 standards (low temp). it has a lot of aluminium parts now. oil sample was bad, lots of debrie and it was pretty broken down from too much heat. the refrigerant sample had 5 times too much noncondensables, 3 times the limit on particulates and other problems. it will need to be burned i've been told. both the accumulator and sub-cooler were flushed out and looked like new when they were put back in. a suction dryer was added and all new dryer cores, refrigerant, and oil. system now has PJ 350 pressure controls for condensor fan operation and i bought a "data logger" that has been on this unit since it has been restarted. the weather here has been as warm as 80df and i have yet to go to full condenser fan operation. the cooling has been used non-stop for 5 days and is maintaining temp "this is the best it has run iin 5 years" i'm being told. There are at least 8 systems this size with two larger "Vilter" units and two with 5H120 carlyle compressors. this place has also abandoned three 5H40 systems that they now are interested in using for an old process that may be restarted. This was an account the company i work for had many years ago that has been sold a few times. The new ownership has some of the original owners in it yet and they are the reason we got it back. Only my boss and one other old timer at my shop has ever worked there. I have been told "this is your baby, take care of it" oh boy! I hope this works out as it is close to home and once the bugs are worked out it should be a pretty much regular type work schedule. haven't had that ever. I've kept a folder with as much info as i can on this project in the hopes that it will help with the others later. The Data logger set me back a bit but with the overtime and steady work this winter i am sure it was worth it. I can also use it were we don't have cpus or other history type access. most of the rest of this place is pretty basic, and only a few other HVAC problems have been found. A scheduled p/m program has been started and that will also lead to more fun i am sure. Thanks again GT and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by refrigeration johnny View Post
    i also have no way of slowing down the rpm of the motor, yet.
    Possibly changing the pulley to a different size?

Quote Originally Posted by refrigeration johnny View Post
    The Data logger set me back a bit but with the overtime and steady work this winter i am sure it was worth it.
    Your company does not supply you with these tools? If they were needed to supply THERE customer with quality service it should be THERE tool. You are not working on a 3 ton split system here. I disagree with techs paying for tools unless you abused it. Good luck with the account. Sounds like some good work.

Quote Originally Posted by xlou1202x View Post
    Possibly changing the pulley to a different size?
    Coupled compressor, probably not belt driven....

VFD....Just needs to be de-rated to work properly...
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12