Threaded View

Unit on rental property has gone out

Hello,

My husband and I own an out of state rental where the A/C has gone out multiple times over the past two years. The unit is almost 4 years old. The brand is a Conrad which I've been told is not the greatest brand. I admit we paid $$$$$ for the unit and the install and I thought that was a bit low but didn't ask any questions.

Now as I said the unit has continuously gone out and it's gone out twice this month, each time we paid about $$$$ to repair something. We have paid to the get the evaporator coil and the fan replaced a year ago. The last person who repaired it said the contactor went bad and the the condenser is going bad. We paid for him to replace the contactor. We inquired about our warranty for the condenser and the repair person said even with the warranty it would cost $$$$ for the all the parts and labor that go into the process. We have been told by multiple repair persons that the person who originally installed the unit did it incorrectly and that they doubt the unit was new based on what they are seeing.

My question is do we have a possible case to sue the original person who installed it, even though it's almost 4 years later? Is it normal for a unit to go out after this amount of time. Would we be better off just purchasing a new unit since this one has been having multiple issues, plus now the condensor needs replacing? My husband and I just aren't sure if we should shell out the $$$$ for the condesor repair or if we should get a new one.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-22-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Pricing